Glider/L'il Nip weight

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by guzzis3, Aug 30, 2021.

1. guzzis3

guzzis3 Senior Member

Does anyone know how heavy these are built to plan ?

I've put off making a decision on the sailing catamaran until my brain fog clears. In the mean time I thought I'd try building a small ply boat. Tryst/duo are an option as are these 2. I need something I can lift onto the roof racks and that will take a small outboard but can be paddled/rowed if teh motor gives up. 2 people. River, maybe a tender later.

Thank you in advance for any information.

2. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

I think some links might help

3. guzzis3

guzzis3 Senior Member

Sorry I wrongly assumed everyone knew about these as they have been discussed on the forum before.

Duo came first then trist was a development of it.

Sailing Catamarans - Duo 10ft Sail/Row Dinghy (nesting option) http://sailingcatamarans.com/index.php/designs-2/46-beach-cats-and-dinghies/420-duo-10ft-sailrow-dinghy

Sailing Catamarans - Tryst 10 trimaran http://sailingcatamarans.com/index.php/designs-2/27-trimarans-under-25/428-tryst-trimaran

L'il Nip is an 8' rowing catamaran and glider is a stretched version with sliding seat rowing. Both an take a small outboard.

L'il Nip Free Plans https://duckworks.com/lil-nip-plans/

Glider Free Plans https://duckworks.com/glider-plans/

I found an expired ad for a L'il Nip which had a weight of 26kg on it. That's the only reference I can find to a weight. It could be built in 1/8 ply to save some weight at the expense of durability.

The other thought I had was to build a pair of 16' wa'apa hulls and crossbeams. Broken down it'd be light enoug to hoist onto roof racks but it would be a much bigger boat.

Wa'apa Outrigger Sailing Canoe https://waapa.blogspot.com

This is rather more elaborate than what I had in mind.

Double Wa'apa https://outriggersailingcanoes.blogspot.com/2011/01/double-waapa.html

4. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

My 2c
    Id build the little trimaran, I think they work better in the micro sizes because of the extra beam. The little Kendricks look smart too, but not really car toppers.

5. guzzis3

guzzis3 Senior Member

I wasn't planning on sailing it. First order was to take it down the river under outboard power. Rowing if the motor fails. It might become a tender of play boat later but not really a sail boat.

Still it's nice to have options I suppose...

6. sailhand

sailhand Senior Member

Hi Guzzi, what speed under power are you wanting to achieve and what length/weight boat are you targeting. I have a small catamaran design however it is almost 12 feet long and almost 6ft beam which I think may be too big for your needs. The reason I ask is I am also looking for a smaller dinghy than mine that is more suited to cartopping and inland travel. I do not want to design another boat and would prefer to buy a boat ready to go, off the rack so to speak, not keen on another build. I have been looking at the 2.4 metre finn spindrift to suit my needs. You might consider a ply version of the 2.4 or 3.o finn spindrift to suit your needs. The glider and lil nip have hullshapes more suited to lower speeds and rowing. If you want to plane them with a smallish outboard say 4hp or les I am not sure how conducive their hull shapes would be for that. If you are after lower speeds say max 6 knots then they might be on the money. I have always admired the woods duo and think Richard has come up with a nice allround compromise especially when you consider the trimaran format and the nesting option. Again though not really a planing hullshape with that much rocker, although his motoring video shows the duo at a fair clip. I think slightly more accurate speed weight and size paramaters you are chasing would help others to better help you. Sounds like we are chasing similar boats.

7. guzzis3

guzzis3 Senior Member

I assume you are talking about these ?

Spindrift 2.4m Dinghy | Finn Kayaks https://finnboats.com.au/products/boats/spindrift-2-4m/

Way too heavy. I would struggle to hoist that onto roofracks.

There is a fiberglass equivalent on ebay:

Dinghy/ Tender, 2.2m, "DevilCat", Catamaran. | eBay https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/143838778871?hash=item217d7595f7:g:pm8AAOSwh1NbNYQU

Weighs about half the poly boat.

I'm not after speed. Initially Elizabeth and I would like to buzz up and down the Brisbane river, the sections the ferries don't cover. I want to get a feel for the 4hp outboard. I've not had much to do with motoring boats. So it doesn't need to be quick, doesn't need to sail. It just needs to take 2 adults, an outboard and be able to be paddled in case of engine failure.

The trouble with duo is I can't find a source for the longer inflatable rollers. The links on the page are broken. Building trist would be a solution but you'd have to row/paddle with the outriggers in place which would be annoying.

I'm thinking of building Glider or perhapse L'il Nip with the thinner ply and stringers as per the larger boat to make it as light as possible. Maybe even use 3/16 floors and glass then on the outside. Should make it rugged enough at the same weight.

Wa'apa would probably be faster under motor or oars and would break down easily enough to hoist on the roof. Outright speed isn't the issue. If a boat is easily driven you can chug along under lower revs. I don't know how much difference it'd make though.

8. oldmulti

oldmulti Senior Member

9. guzzis3

guzzis3 Senior Member

oldmulti: Thank you very much for that. The pages alone are terribly helpful. I will endeavor to contact him.

Duo is problematic as I have not been able to find a source for the cheap 5' long boat rollers Mr Woods sourced. The links on the page are broken and my searches on the internet have not yielded a source.

I'm also trying to get in touch with the seller of a caper cat listed on fb marketplace here in brisbane. The boat looks pretty rough but the asking price is $150. Taken apart it could be cartopped and they can be made to take a small outboard.

Otherwise I am leaning towards the little plywood cats.

10. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

I tried asking the designer about the Glider weight.
    No answer.

11. guzzis3

guzzis3 Senior Member

That's a shame. I'll post if I find anything out.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.