boat material / furniture material

Discussion in 'Materials' started by bogeyinthekeys, Sep 8, 2005.

1. bogeyinthekeys

bogeyinthekeys Junior Member

Hi there,

I am new at this and am trying to educate myself on possible materials that I might use for a furniture design as it may relate to boat design process. I need to find a material that is flexible(1/4" to 1" in thickness), and that can be bend to different radiuses to fit into a jig. I guess the form could be hardened with an epoxy. The stool must also accomodate the weight of the person sitting on it.

Can anyone help me out ?

Heidi

2. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

furniture materials

Bogie - most long grained timbers (especially pine) when steamed can be bent with care. But for making a stool, cane when steamed, bends easiest of all. However its boat building qualities are questionable (without a ton of caulking).
    If you're working with 1/4 inch thickenesses try a decent ply, and laminate it to build up strength. Now that, you can use for boat building. :cool:

3. JR-Shine

JR-Shine SHINE

you can also laminate 3/16" mahogany of meranti plywood over a honeycomb (3/4") core. It would be very light and strong.

4. John ilett

John ilett Senior Member

There are quite a few varietys of honeycomb type core panels made just for this. Cores can be coated paper, nomex honeycomb, alloy honeycomb, plastic honeycomb etc. Skins can be fglass, alloy, formica, etc.

I have worked with the glass skinned alloy honeycomb which you can rout or cut grooves in one face then bend on a jig with a filler in the cuts. Once set it stays.

http://www.plascore.com/

http://www.tricelcorp.com/

http://www.nida-core.com/default.asp

Of course there are plenty of ways to make a bent sandwich also, foam, ply, glass..............

5. nero

nero Senior Member

Or you can laminate thin strips of wood with epoxy. Add some uni-directional fiberglass or kelvelar on the outside if needed for extra strength.

6. bogeyinthekeys

furniture material

thanks a million !

you don't know how great it is to talk to people who know what they are doing. I will check out the sites. Is the material expensive ?

there aren't many women doing this you know !!

Heidi

7. bogeyinthekeys

furniture material

Hi again,

That Nida-core Structiform is right up my alley - saw a photo of a man standing on a piece. That might be what I will use depending on the minimum radiuses capabiliy.

Heidi

8. bogeyinthekeys

nida-core structiform

Hi there,

Thanks so much for the information - nida-core is sending me a sample to check out, it looks like it will be what I need. I can laminate 2 skins to the bent honeycomb material (a la eames bent wood furniture) to achieve the look.

I will let you know how it goes, can't wait to work with the stuff. :)

Heidi

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.