12 foot sheet marine ply suppliers in UK

Discussion in 'Materials' started by alyne, Sep 8, 2005.

1. alyne

alyne Junior Member

Hi All

I read somewhere that it is possible to source 12 foot lengths of Marine ply.
    I am after some 3mm Okume to build a 12 foot dinghy, so if I could source 12 foot lengths it would make things easier.

Would anyone be able to recommend a good supplier in the UK I could try?

Thanks
    Andy

2. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

You might have more success if you asked your plywood stockist for gaboon as that is what the wood is usually known as here in the UK.Robbins of Bristol are probably worth talking to or you could try the National names in the Yellow Pages.Perhaps you ought to build a small model first to ensure that a 12 foot length will stretch around the curves of a 12 foot hull.With 3mm ply,it would be an exceptionally light and probably rather delicate boat.

3. alyne

alyne Junior Member

Thanks Wet Feet.

I have had a look at robbins.co.uk and they are just the company I am after. Lots of useful info on their web site.....and just up the road from me!

You are probably right about using 3mm being a little too delicate, I have had a look at their 4mm offerings and think I will be using this.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.