12' fiberglass boat painting

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Klrtim, May 11, 2008.

1. Klrtim

Klrtim New Member

I bought a beater 12' fiberglass boat. I am sanding it down and am going to paint it. The plan is to camo it like a duck boat. What steps do you think I need to take and what kinds of products to use, as I have never done this before. Thanks Tim advance.

2. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

id go get some national marine paint,,unless you want a great job,,,,how much money do ya want to spend,,and if you use national,,(if this is gonna be a "beater" and for playing) you wont even have to primer first,,,,then do 1 color,,tape off the spots you want that,,next color,,,tape off what ya want to stay,,then so on.,,but,,,it all depends on what kind of "job" your looking for.

3. grady

grady Novice

Camo

Hi this post is directed to ask Much if it might be better to paint all one color the ramdom patterns in second color then fill in random patterns in third. This way no sharp lines between colors not to mention the time savings.

Just a thought. Liston to Much He knows his stuff. I'm a novice with Ideas.

Good luck

4. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

yups ,,either way is about the same,,but, the problem is over spray,,the way your talking ,,( i think,,med time came early today since i had ta "grab" the attention of 3 thieves today, that tried to beat up the owner of the shop they broke into) you'd have to cover up all the areas you didnt want "that" color,,then,,undo and find the areas for the next color,,and cover everything up again.,,,i think,,hehe,,,i'd do the base or "background" color first,,,then tape everything i wanted to keep that color,,then spray your next color,,,,then tape off the areas i wanted to keep that color,,then to the next,,,,that way,,as you go,,your covering everything up,,,and leaving it,,,,,,,,and a WHOLE lot matters on the finish you want,,,with awl-grip,,,,id do the primer,,,then lay out a close to what i wanted pattern,,,then cover everything except the next color,,,,,sand them areas,,paint,,,,then pull my tape,,,cover up them areas i jus painted,,,then sand my next colors,,,,and if the color im doing next is going to touch a previous color,,,i sand to my tape line and then spray,,,,but dont sand anything you dont want "the next color",,this way actually takes ALOT longer,,,and you still end up with a tape line in some places.,,,,thats why i told him about national,,,the stuff sticks to oil,,hehe,,,and it is way cheaper,,and ya can get away without all the sanding if you do it all in 1 day,,,,,,,,the stuff dries to the touch in like 20 minutes,,and can be leaned against in 45,,hehe,,,,did i confuse myself grady?

5. Klrtim

Klrtim New Member

Primer

I am sanding it down this week. I don't know much about this but have been reading on the net. What do you think about primering the glass, then taking acrilic spray bombs to it like that Krylon stuff? I went out to the local stores here and no has epoxy primer. If I spray bombed it, should I put some kind of coat on that? I would like it to look half decent and would spend a couple hunded bucks on it. Oh ya I am doing this by hand. Thanks for the feedback guys.