HYDROPTER CAPZISES @ 55knts

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Erwan, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Erwan

Erwan Senior Member

"Le Figaro" Paris 12h01
    L'Hydroptère a chaviré à 55 noeuds
    AFP
    21/12/2008 | Mise à jour : 12:01 | Ajouter à ma sélection .
    L'Hydroptère, trimaran à foils, a chaviré aujourd'hui au large de Port-Saint-Louis-du-Rhône (Bouches-du-Rhône) où il tentait de battre le record de vitesse absolue à la voile.
    L'équipage, composé de neuf personnes, est sain et sauf et les opérations de remorquage étaient en cours en fin de matinée.
    L'Hydoptère a chaviré puis s'est retourné à environ 400 m de la côte, le mât et les foils, sorte d'ailes sur lequel le trimaran flotte au-dessus de la mer, se retrouvant sous l'eau.
    Causée par la houle puis une rafale de vent, l'avarie s'est produite alors que l'Hydroptère atteignait 55 noeuds. Stabilisée sur 500 m, cette vitesse aurait constitué le record du monde à la voile.
    Le record est actuellement détenu par le Français Alexandre Caizergues qui a atteint une vitesse constante de 50,57 noeuds sur 500 mètres avec son kitesurf en Namibie le 5 octobre.

In English: Hydroptere capsized when he was reaching 55knts at 400 m from the coast.

Swell and gust triggered the capzise

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Erwan, thanks for the breaking news! Was anyone hurt? Did she get the 500 meter record? Over on SA they say she peaked out at about 61knots!

3. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

the world champ

Well, Doug, l'hydroptere is now THE fastest boat, craft, sledge, water born board, ski, contraption, whatever. But obviously extremely savage conditions to turn that wide tri over, must have pitchpoled.

4. Boston

Boston Previous Member

thought Ild translate that if its ok

L' Hydrofoil, trimaran with foils, capsized today off Port-Saint-Louis-du-Rhône (Rhone delta) where it tried to beat the absolute speed record, ( with the veil ?). The crew, composed of nine people, is healthy and towing operations were in hand at the end of the morning. The Hydoptère capsized then turned over approximately 400 m of the coast, the mast and the hydrofoils, a kind of wings on which the trimaran floats above the sea,

next part translates

finding itself under l' water. Caused by the swell then a gust of wind, l' s' damages; is produced whereas l' Hydrofoil reached 55 nodes. Stabilized on 500 m, this speed would have constituted the world records with the veil.

( in cleaning it up I may incorrectly change the meaning so Ill just print the literal translation )

The record is currently held by the French Alexandre Caizergues who reached a constant speed of 50,57 nodes ( knots ) out of 500 meters with his kitesurf in Namibia on October 5.

very glad everyone is ok
    and congrats on the spead
    now lets hope the boat is ok
    best
    B

1 person likes this.
  5. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

6. Boston

Boston Previous Member

ah thank you
    actually french was my first language
    course ive forgotten most of it

7. Erwan

Erwan Senior Member

Congratulation Boston

Hi Boston,

Your translation is very good, myself, I undestand better your English text than the original French one: It suggests that the boat is capsized with the mast and the foil under the water: a journalist mistake I guess.

"à la voile" is usually opposed to " au moteur" it just means the boat was using its sails.

Doug: Nobody was hurt and she didn't achieve that speed for 500m

Personnal remark: Compared to kite, we should consider the" Marginal efficiency of this complexity"

8. Boston

Boston Previous Member

thank you Erwin
    its been a long time since I have used my French and I miss it
    really glad everyone is ok
    I bet the copter crew was having a heart attach
    best B

9. ancient kayaker

Tell me about it; mine was Welsh.

10. ancient kayaker

That's like comparing a fighter plane with a jetliner. These are really different events: L'hydroptere is unquestionably a boat, carries ballast, a crew, cargo maybe, a kiteboard is more of an athletic event.

11. Boston

Boston Previous Member

English sucks

12. keith66

keith66 Senior Member

I would give my left ball for a ride on that boat, hope she aint bust up too bad!

13. Erwan

Erwan Senior Member

Be Carefull Keith

You might lost your right's one in a wild ride ending in a crash
    It could embarrassing no ?

1 person likes this.
  14. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

And in what sense of analysis do you not see that a Kiteboarder has all the same attributes as you describe for Hydrop?

Ballast... the guy on the hull just like a skiff
    Crew..... The same guy
    Cargo.... You've never seen the kiters wearing backpacks, have you?

I suggest that they are both athletic events. I'm sure that a very cursory query with the guys who were on Hydrop when it dumped itself would attest to the raw athleticism of the experience.

If one were to open their intake vent just a bit and look at kiteboarding as the ultimate minimalist sailing sport available, much like ultra-light back packing is to a trail horse supported hiking trip, then the clarity of the potential begins to show itself.

What's the most remarkable thing about hearing these comparisons in which Hydrop is hailed as a boat, while kiters are only athletically winging it and have no resemblance to a boat...?

The same kinds of near derogatory statements came flooding out of the mouths of skiers when snowboarders first appeared on the mountains. Now, the resort slopes around the world, save for a very few idolatry driven holdouts, are all encouraging snowboarders to come to their mountain.

This... "boat, not a boat" thing is a waay colorful red herring to dangle before the yacht club denizens as they pimp their way through another really physical sailing season. ;-)

15. Boston

Boston Previous Member

of course they are both athletes
    I think they have a lot more in common than not
    funny thing is to read you guys going at each other over something you all clearly hold dear

if you do ever actually race the guys on the rail of Hydroptersaurus could try firing a few water balloons and maybe take out the competition that way

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.