Prime mover for small trawler project

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by KnottyBuoyz, Apr 30, 2007.

1. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

I'm beginning to narrow down the field for the prime mover for our little trawler project.

http://boatplans-online.com/studyplans/TW28_study.htm

The designer specifies engines in the 35hp (30kw) to 50hp (40kw) range. Here's a few that I've identified as candidates so far:

Volvo Penta D2-40 Crankshaft kW/hp 29.1/39.6 Rated rpm 3200

Nanni 4.195HE Crankshaft Kw/hp 29.4/40 Rated rpm 2800

Yanmar 3JH4E Crankshaft Kw/hp 29.4/40 Rated rpm 3000

Westerbeke 44B FOUR Crankshaft Kw/hp 32/44 Rated rpm 3000

The criteria we're mostly focusing on is for engines readily available to the north american market with an established network of suppliers, spare parts and service. My question to you fellas is/are there any others that I may have overlooked? Also your comments/suggestions on the preference for any of these listed is also appreciated.

2. robt.c.warford

robt.c.warford Junior Member

The Beta seems to be more readily available than the Nanni diesel, although they are based on the same blocks.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.