USA inland river charts for Android phone?

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by kroberts, Dec 31, 2012.

1. kroberts

kroberts Senior Member

Hi,

I'm looking for an app and charts to see inland rivers in the central USA. Particularly the Missouri River in South Dakota.

I'm interested in shoreline, public boat ramps, slow/no wake zones, dam locations and potential fuel stops. This is not considered navigable water so the boat traffic will probably be based on a depth finder.

I would like this to be on an Android phone, which of course isn't a real GPS and not a real navigation device, so I would prefer the chart to be "offline" meaning it exists on my phone so I can look at it as though it were a paper map even though the "you are here" arrow is missing.

It would be an added feature if the map integrated with Google Maps so I could see gas stations which are near but not on the water.

This is just so I can find a gas station, and know when the dams are coming, and how to get to the nearest boat ramp in case of impending bad weather. I have a 6-place speedy hovercraft and plan to cruise the length of it over time. I don't need fancy extras and I won't be trying to steer in the fog. I don't need depth charts because it's a non-displacement hull.

Is anyone using something they find especially handy for this? If it's not available on an Android app, what low-cost device do you recommend?

Thanks.

2. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Ken, I designed a 4,000 SF passive solar house in Ray ND, outside of Williston. Let me know if you plan to be in that area.

I'm a registered architect there now and hope to be doing projects out that way more often.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.