110 out of 220?

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by tropicalbuilder, Aug 30, 2012.

1. bpw

bpw Senior Member

Multi-phase AC has more than two wires.

Like I said before, my brief education in all this did little more than show me how much more complicated AC wiring is than I ever would have believed.

Anybody want to talk about power factor?

2. tropicalbuilder

tropicalbuilder Junior Member

ok the situation here in mexico is like the US, we have 240V two phase that is split to 110V single phase for normal use.
    110V (black) , neutral(white) ,ground(yellow/green) .
    Now if you take the two 110V single phase and use them together you have the 220V.

This is the way my boat is receiving power from shore from the 110/220 50Amps outlet of the marina - 110V (one phase) 110V (one phase) and ground.

My original question was:
    is it ok to make a 110V outlet to use power tools and appliances (drills, TV, blender..)
    just taking one of the phase (110V) on one side and the ground on the other?
    Or should I use a dedicated shore power line and bring 110(one phase) neutral and ground and connect this to the outlet I want to use?

According to PAR that says that in the USA, the green wire (ground) and the common wire (white) are attached the same bus in the panel it looks like there is no difference in using either the green or white wire to provide the return path to the phase.

Is it correct?

3. jonr

jonr Senior Member

Your first option will work if you address the below issue. I recommend using a GFCI outlet.

The ground is there for safety and you always use the neutral as the return path. So you should be using 4 wires from the marina (+120, -120, neutral, ground). Ground isolation and GFCI protection for the entire supply circuit are other issues to address.

4. CDK

CDK retired engineer

No, certainly not in this forum!

5. Grey Ghost

Grey Ghost Senior Member

I'm not an electrician, but I don't think it is safe to use the ground wire as a neutral.
    http://www.highport.com/electricalHazard.php

6. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Certainly not!
    The yellow/green is supposed to save your life in case of an insulation failure. It is internally connected to the metal parts of your appliances, if somewhere along the line a bad contact develops, using it as a return causes all these parts to become live.

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

And all the other boats live too. Skin fittings melting, propellors disappearing, its happened here.

Which is why I don't use earth,-- all my appliances are 2 pin plugs on plastic framed appliances.

And I dont have a bonding system for the same reason. I dont want be some sacrificial anode for some one elses mistakes.

8. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

So you have an frq/voltage converter running the whole boat on 220V 3 wire and you want to tap the incoming 120/240 split phase 4 wire, correct? or do you only have a transformer w/o freq conversion?

I think the best solution would be to bring a new 30A 3 wire 120v lead onboard and distribute that separately for convenience tool use. I don't think I'd bother with the galley, just use Euro appliances.

I'm assuming this is intended for owner-not-on-the-boat sort of chores. If the idea is that the owners/guests might use the system, I think I'd just say no thanks. Easier to just have the euro tools; but a PITA that you can't carry them ashore. I don't think the public is really prepared to deal with two AC electric systems. I know Americans aren't.

Is there an issue with guests bringing gadgets aboard?

9. tropicalbuilder

tropicalbuilder Junior Member

yes i think i will go for the separate 120V shore power and make some dedicated outlets …
    you are right dealing with two AC systems onboard could be a problem with guests.

Now after all your post I have a big doubt….

this boat is from europe, with his 220V 50Hz system single phase …
    And here the 220V i can get is two phase 60HZ … can this be a problem for electronic equipment like battery chargers, inverters, Air conditioning, and so on??

I mean, at the moment everything is working fine …. but is this going to be ok on the long term??

If not what would be the solution??

10. jonr

jonr Senior Member

As CDK said, motors may not like 60Hz. Other things should be fine. You can buy variable frequency drives to fix the former.

11. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

Yes, I'd consider it a problem if you don't have an isolation transformer and the correct neutral taps on each side. Again, it goes towards people's expectations and experiences. A 240,0,ground socket isn't a 120,120,ground socket. Sooner or later someone will find a reason you shouldn't have done this.

For instance, check the outlet's contact voltages when the branch curcuit breaker is switched off.

12. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I think your boss thought he bought a cheap boat --maybe he did,-- now you know why.

Best thing and not so expensive is convert, yes the whole lot.

Buy all new appliences, use original wiring and change sockets.

You will get your money back when he sells it.

13. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It is not so complicated. 220 out of two 110 lines is the standard setup in North America. The outlets are usually in pairs at the dock, one being A phase and the other B phase. The A and B lines together are 220V. The ground (earth) wire is green and the neutral (white) doesn't get used. The hot or powered wires are black, red or dark blue.

14. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

If you twist 2x 110 together your saying you get 220? I hear what your saying but if I twist 2x12V together I still have 12 v.

I know that if I twist 2x 220 together I still get 220

I also dont understand how you line up the phases to give 60cycles from 2x 60 cycles you should have 120 cycles.

15. jonr

jonr Senior Member

If you put two 12V batteries in series, you get 24V. Same principal. The two phases are 180 degrees out of phase, so referring to them as +120V and -120V can help.

If you only want 240V, then you don't need the neutral. But if you want 120V, then you need it (the ground is not a substitute).

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.