10m catamaran by Kevin Flower - any info?

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by RickEdmonds, Oct 30, 2008.

1. RickEdmonds

RickEdmonds Junior Member

Hi guys

I tried a search but nothing came up. I'm looking at buying a part-built (one hull) cat and finishing it off. The design is said to be "modified" by Kevin Flower (ex Flower and Adams sails I assume). The built hull looks very like a Crowther Harrier to me. The "modified" aspect may be that it's been drawn for multi-chine construction in ply. The builder of the one hull died a few years ago and along the way a lot of specifications and drawings appear to have been lost. The original drawings contemplate a "tube" cat with 3 alloy beams, or a "sport deck" version with a fabricated main beam. The original builder had drawings done for a bridgedeck version, based on the same fabricated main beam.

My major concern is whether the design will support the extra weight of the bridgedeck as I don't want to spend time and money only to end up with a transom-dragger.

Does anyone know anything about this design? It apparently dates back 20 years or so and Bob Oram built one called "Silver" in Darwin, but I was told he experimented with foils and CLR and the boat had balance problems. Interestingly enough, I suspect this is where Bob's current design ideas about submerged chines came from originally.

My concept is to emulate the open deckhouse/cockpit of the Seawind 1000 - that works brilliantly in the tropics.

Thanks for any info or comments,

Cheers

Rick

2. catsketcher

catsketcher Senior Member

Some small help

Hello

I met the people on Silver when they came back from a Kimberley cruise in the 90s. As I recall the boat was fine but the owner was a little upset about the noise the flat bow would make in chop.

My advice is not to get a compromised project for the sake of one hull. One unfinished hull is not very far along the build process and you would probably be better served getting a modern sellable cat design like an Oram, Schionning, Woods or somesuch. The rest of the materials will cost the same on a recent design

cheers

Phil Thompson

3. RickEdmonds

Hi Phil

Thanks for the info on Silver. What you say makes a lot of sense, but along with the hull comes a *lot* of gear as well, which makes the purchase very attractive. The built hull is done to a good standard and all the frames for the second hull are made and ready to be erected. Most importantly, I took the wife to see it yesterday and she gave the approval - a lot more room than she was expecting, I think.

I know resale won't be as high as a recognised design, but that's far enough away not to be determinative now.

Cheers

Rick

4. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Rick, I worked with Kev at Woolwich Marina in the 80's when he was designing and advising this boat, he still lives in Sydney I believe, so contact him directly, I can give you his phone number from my old books if you send me a private message.

5. RickEdmonds

Hi Landlubber

That would be great, thanks. I tried to PM you but found I need to have 5 posts and then wait a day before PM is enabled. This is post No 5, so I'll be able to PM you tomorrow!

Cheers

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.