Boat design program help

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Raptorsailor, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Raptorsailor

Raptorsailor New Member

Hi all,

I'm doing a school presentation on sailing and I'd like to incorporate CFD/CAD examples of boats. Can Anyone Recommend free boat design software, as long as it works on windows or mac. (and FREE!!!!)
    I also want to explore in my spare time, different ways to make sailboats go faster using this software.
    One of these is a rear splitter that moves wing vortices (wing wash?) away from the hydrofoil thus increasing efficiency. This is probably a dead end, and if it isn't... it's probably been researched before.
    Any who... thanks for any response, good or bad. But I really don't know what to look for when it comes to this kind of software.

chomp chomp
    -raptor

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You will be better off to get a CAD of a sailboat, unless you want to learn boat design. The best advice I ever got about presentations, was to only present on topics I am knowledgeable about. If someone asks you about something you designed, you should be able to answer about hydrodynamics, stability, structure, etc. A CAD from a reputable designer that includes that data gets you off the hook. You simply need to refer to the published data. What is the focus of your presentation?

3. W9GFO

W9GFO Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.