10' Pram Advice Wanted/Needed!

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by itskens, Nov 3, 2013.

1. itskens

itskens Junior Member

This is great, Troy!.... very informative... Thank you.
    So, with a 1/4" bottom, did you glass the bottom, too?
    What's the formula for a scarph joint.... how many inches per??
    Do you seal the wood before gluing?
    Do you seal the wood before painting?
    Many thanks again!!!

2. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I apologize for not answering you way back when; I kind of drifted out of the forum for a while and never saw your post. Trying to get caught up...

No, I didn't glass anything. I just touch up any scrapes in the paint between uses.

Minimum scarf ratio I normally use is 8 to 1, and that's on plywood. On solid wood I usually shoot for 12 to 1, but I'm not religious about it....

I didn't seal the wood at all - and don't think it would be a good idea before gluing. It makes more sense to me to bond bare wood to bare wood, then seal later if you want.

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

I agree. Seal the wood after gluing or the glue will only be as strong as the sealer.

4. itskens

itskens Junior Member

Thank you!! I'm now thinking a pram will be a second boat... Found these things, called "sneak boxes"... Some are like prams with a deck.. great for using as a blind, as well as a boat. I got the plans for this boat, called "The Old Dude". I'll do the rowing version.

[​IMG]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.