10 ft jon+seadoo sp power= Help

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by hamerdown, Apr 2, 2009.

1. hamerdown

hamerdown Junior Member

Putting a seadoo sp powertrain in a ten foot Jon boat any help would be appreciated first question best way to attach fibreglass to alluminum but any other ideas/help would be appreciated.

2. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

contact a lawyer and make a will, buy a plot and make necessary funeral arrangements. A 10 ft jon shouldn't have over 10 hp...period. You try to turn too fast and you will flip if you even hit a ripple the wrong way. 'Nuff said!

3. hamerdown

hamerdown Junior Member

I didnt come here for negative help I hope you dont represent the rest of this site You have no idea what modifications are being done to the boat or its intended purpose please do not reply unless you have some helpful suggestions.

ENOUGH SAID?

4. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

With that type of attitude I doubt you will get much help here. ENOUGH SAID.

5. hamerdown

hamerdown Junior Member

NO attitude intended im sorry if i offended anyone I just asked a question and was reply was not what I expected is all.

6. hamerdown

hamerdown Junior Member

I would also like to point out that i have taken the comment into consideration and I feel with the proper balast the boat will perform very well I have already reinforced the floor with 1/4 alluminum sheeting along with the transom. trim tabs should help with steerability I own a cottage up a narrow/shallow river and am hoping that the boat will save me from portaging.I did not intend to get into controversy about what I am building I was just hoping for some general help with certain challenges i am facing.

7. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

You can bond the fiberglass to the aluminum if you prep it properly,sandblast the aluminum faying surface,scrub it with acetone then immediatly coat with epoxy and work it into the surface with a scotchbrite pad.Sand the fiberglass prior to gluing together with thickened epoxy.I would use a toughened epoxy rather than just a regular boat epoxy.You could probably use 3m 5200 urethane also.For something like this i would want to use some mechanical fasteners also if i could.This may be an interesting project,i have a jetski drive unit i was going to use in a dinghy some day but with a smaller aircooled engine,i havnt researched if it would work or not yet .Good luck.
    Steve.

8. hamerdown

hamerdown Junior Member

Thanks for your help I appreciate it also I will update as things progress I plan on using some cariage style bolts I'm hoping that by weighing it down i can get over the over powered issue if not I'll just tune down the 583

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.