1) Are hulls same shape in a Cat 2) hull spacing

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Will, May 4, 2004.

1. Will

Will New Member

I'm thinking about building a catamaran... either power or sail.

My question is... are the two hull's identical in shape?

This would allow me to build only one mold.

ALSO - is distance apart important? I'm guessing that the eddies and currents from the bow cutting thru the water would make it important to have some minimum distance between hulls for best performance.

Thanks for any help.

Will

2. sorenfdk

sorenfdk Yacht Designer

The two hulls are not necessarily the same shape, but most are.

The distance between the hulls is important, especially for a sailing cat. Larger distance = more stability, smaller distance = more resistance. But the distance can also be too large and make tacking difficult.

Anyway - before you can begin building, you'll of course need a design. If you buy one, these problems have probably been solved by the designer. If you want to do the design yourself, there are a LOT more things to consider, so I would suggest you find all the relevant litterature you can, and start reading.

3. Tim Bard

Tim Bard Junior Member

Look at Compu-Craft for plans >>> ccplans.com

Col Clifford has a lot of designs and ~50 years experience.

He is a very clever designer

Tim

4. sorenfdk

sorenfdk Yacht Designer

Oops - I forgot something!

Most sailing cats have symmetrical hulls, BUT most powercats have asymmetrical hulls!

5. Will

Will New Member

Gee, I wonder why powercats have asymmetrical hulls and Sailing Cat's don't ?

I thought many of the Sailing Cats were also being sold as Power Cats... just by leaving the mast off... but what do I know :)

thanks for any additional comments - Will

6. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

Distance between the hulls also affects drag - bigger distance, less drag. However, bigger distance also = more structure needed for cross-beams, etc. You pays your money and takes your choice :)

Steve

7. guest

guest Guest

No one mentioned, the seperation distance of a sailing cat is the big factor for speed. THe cat can take huge sail area because the cg when loading a hull is way outboard. A hobie 16 has asymetric hulls, and I've heard it allows the boat to perform without a centerboard, a lead I have not investigated. Most hulls separation distances are limited by the 8 or 8.5 foot max trailering width mandated by the DOT.

8. guest

guest Guest

also, wrt some power cats, I have heard that assymetric shape has been used to lift water to a raised engine, like a tunnel hull allows a raised engine on flats boats. One usage.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.