Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Fanie, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Mr Efficiency wrote
    Where is it written that there is a relationship between the width and depth, that affects jamming ?

I don't know, isn't that the question that I asked? Although I did use the term Ratio not relationship.

It is obvious that lubrication assists in sliding. Maybe the ratio between depth and width has to also include the side clearances.

You must have noticed that draws that are wide and shallow jam easily and those that are long and narrow slide easily.

There must be a minimum ratio between width and depth.

Poida

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

The longer the draws, and the smaller the side clearance the better I'd suppose. Problem with that is timber swells and moves in wet and humid conditions, so the clearance can't be too fine.

3. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

The golden ration is 2 dimensional representation of the 3 dimensional world, In 2 dimensional art it may be useful in alluding to the 3rd dimension. A study of the helix is useful as it is a direct relationship to 3 dimensions.

My timber certainly swells in wet conditions, but much more so if it is warm.

4. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

I think the artist may work to find this intuitively. The act of drawing a line is an extension of his existence in the material world. We feel these thing because we are made of this world and all the information is with in us, This is perhaps why we relate to the helix and are attracted to its innate beauty , whether it is in a tree or the the figure of a young women.

5. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

Strange thread, but a fun read. The harmonic (musical) scale is not the same ratio as 1 to 1.618 so you can count that one out at least in terms of divisions of frets/intervals on a fingerboard of say a guitar or cello.

The answer to a non jamming slide - length should be 3 times width. Then it will always align and has to be pretty bad not too. Basically anything with a 30 deg ramp or lower should slide freely. Always makes me laugh when I see films with the old Guillotines which if the reconstructions are accurate, explain why they did not always work....;)

The problem is not sash windows which nearly always meet the 3:1 ratio but Chest of Drawers which have drawers too wide for the depth. Better ones subdivide the drawers into two each side or use guide runners underneath to align the 'run' where the ratio can be maintained.

Metric paper sizes are based on the Golden Ratio unlike Imperial ones. It is often a good starting point some times visually to at least get a sense of proportions.

6. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

There is a ratio Poida, I had to do with it building a laser cutter movement, I'm getting old, I can't remember what it was. But below the ratio it jams and won't move, over the ratio it slides off without sticking. Of course the more you go over the ratio the more stable it becomes - if you have the space.

Italian or British... please no, they will probably leak oil :D I hear the new Land Rovers come without an oil filler cap. That's because you pour the oil over the engine and it leaks in. A new marketing feature also is that the landy okes can now buy broken spares off the shelf...
    The Italians all have exploding heads in their ammo, when someone shoots a car (or boat) with a 9mm the car or boat explodes... They should put an IT with a 9mm in charge of every tanker salvage yard and you can simply rake the parts together and sort it into different bins.

So Frank, you're saying it's always swollen.

Welcome Suki... :p

Correct. I actually expected a lot more problems on the forum between the metrics, the imperial and the US thing they use. I guess an engineer is someone who knows all three standards and doesn't mix them up. However, since everything comes from China, I guess they set the standard for the western world's numeric system.

7. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

A long time ago, A forum member who is into steel boatbuilding, tried to preach the golden ratio. He got a lot of negative reps. Do you remember who this guy is? Is he still (steel) around?

1 person likes this.
  8. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Thanks RX, btw, did you know that most of the "wonderful inventions" people come up today were already known even before WW2...

Anyway, I was simply curious, I didn't expect to start some revolutionary breakthrough.

The mono hull sailors would prevent that in any case. I read somewhere that rotating masts are still banned from competitions hence they prevent any advance in equipment. In another 2000 years they are still going to be exactly where they are today... walking on the walls of their boats :p

While saying that, so does all the small cat sailors do too... One of these days sharks are going to figger out they can have some easy pickings and that will be that as well.

9. rxcomposite

The golden ratio proportion is abundant in nature and is "pleasing to the eye" because we are accustomed to seeing it. In some way it works but other ratios work as well. The golden ratio became popular only when it was touted as "Divine number" so typical of the era it was popularized.

Not that I was born during WW2 but most inventions are very much entrenched in physics. Take the case of Dolby effect (cancellation of sounds,one ratio). I did not care much about that principle (flunked high school physics) but who would know that Dolby would see the connection and find an application for it. Brilliant.

10. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Trust me, if you look at the lies that we are tought, you haven't missed anything. One such concept is that there is no such thing as perpetual motion and that you cannot get free energy... If you believe this then the earth is still very flat.

Btw, they use a similar technique to make objects "disappear", or become invisible. Last I read on it they were succeeding with one colour, but in a matter of time they will be able to make any colour invisible. You'd be able to sail on your boat without it being there...

One has to keep in mind that we grew up in a box... going beyond that box is very difficult, and if others supervise you then you're not going anywhere. I've been lucky in this concern, being a rebel all my life wanting to know why or why not... how en why why why... and why not go beyond - instead of following what the general expectations are.

11. rxcomposite

12. Mr Efficiency

What is afrikaans (or Boer ?) for "maverick", that might be you !

13. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I didn't know that chickens were "built" by the golden rule LOL and that is why the eggs are so strong ? !

14. Mr Efficiency

The golden rule is not quite the same as the "golden section", no ? When I went to school, the golden rule was that of "doing unto others as you would have them do unto you" or something similar, though it seems to have dropped off the curriculum some time ago !

15. rxcomposite

They have discovered it a long time ago before Harry Potter and Frodo used it. "The Emperor's New Clothes". :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.