1/4 scale model

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Howlandwoodworks, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Earl Boebert

Earl Boebert Senior Member

Yes. It's like the "stand off scale" idea in model airplanes. From twenty feet away your model looks like a P-38. Up close a P-38 expert can find a hundred things wrong with it: bigger elevator, wings forward, whatever you did to make it fly well.

The average scale sailboat builder just wants to make a model that looks right and sails well. That's what John Black did with Yankee Jr. If you want to use the model to learn something about a proposed full-size boat, you're in a different problem domain.

Cheers,

Earl

2. Howlandwoodworks

Howlandwoodworks John Howland

I checked the center of buoyancy CB yesterday in a tank of water. It was on the water line.
    I though about putting a Dragon type keel on but if I build and can't sell it I will be sailing on inland lakes. The keels overall depth is a little deeper than an outboard motor. And finding boat ramps that will accommodate a deep keel are hard to find around here.
    I am going to fasten the keel and put some kind of transparent finish on the hull after grind off a bone headed idea I had. I add on to the keel making it proud from the hull, a division in between starboard and port, like a power boat. Well it's only a 1/4 scale mistake.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.