1.2 m autonomous boat hull ideas?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by bigkahuna, Jan 7, 2012.

1. bigkahuna

bigkahuna Junior Member

Yup, saw that. ;)

2. spidennis

spidennis Chief Sawdust Sweeper

3. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Pretty simple: Ballast tanks, preferably automatic. Auto trim tab approach for fine tuning while making-way.

I looked at the YouTube video. What was it you wanted me to get from that? All I saw was big and little boats going back and forth across a river. It didn't have any understandable audio.

-Tom

4. Submarine Tom

Ya, I saw that one too. By singling up the hull, drag could be reduced. If battery life/weight is that big an issue.

I'd be tempted to go with an enclosed TeeDee .049 gas engine but there's too much undefined in the mission to really give anything more than ideas, most of which are rejected.

Sounds like our builder is looking for the ever elusive "ultimate" and with no time frame, may never get there...

-Tom

5. bigkahuna

bigkahuna Junior Member

@spidennis - I actually have a fair bit of experience with SWATH (worked on the design team for the first Navatek SWATH: http://www.navatekltd.com/swath.html ). Interesting video.

@Tom - Watch the video again and you'll see a small boat motoring back and forth across the little channel there. That's an autonomously controled 10 foot canoe powered by 2 trolling motors. If you watch closely you'll see a USCG rescue boat motor right past it and apparently they don't even give it a second look.

6. Submarine Tom

"Autonomously controlled" what is it you mean by that?

-Tom

7. bigkahuna

bigkahuna Junior Member

It is completely self controlled, relies on a high precision GPS and other instruments to follow a predetermined track while compensating for current. I hope to get my project to that point eventually, but the first iteration will likely be at least partly human controlled.

Thanks everyone for your contributions. I asked for some ideas and got plenty of them. I appreciate your participation.

8. spidennis

spidennis Chief Sawdust Sweeper

Attached Files:

9. portacruise

portacruise Senior Member

Ya, maybe concept based on super cavitating torpedos. These are supposed to be the world's fastest, going over hundreds? of mph...

Porta

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.