1/10 Scale frigate...

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by volkswagen50, Apr 1, 2009.

1. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I've been in the "Federalist", though only as a static display. She's a real nice piece, but I'd hate to have to sail her. She has very little room in her, being essentially a built down dayboat with an unusual rig. Maybe two forward and a couple aft could manage her.

2. vhhjr

vhhjr Junior Member

Especially the owner of the original, George Washington, as he was 6' 3" and 220 lbs. Would be a bit cramped. If one was built at 20' length it would be a lot more roomy.

Vince Homer

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I don't believe 'ol George ever sailed the original. It was a gift and intended to show gratitude, not sailing pleasure and lost shortly after delivery. It was sailed on about a week long trip for the presentation. I can only imagine the sailing skill level (long lost) necessary to handle this little boat.

4. vhhjr

vhhjr Junior Member

I did complete the larger model and have done some limited stability tests. It took several lbs of lead in the keel to get it down to the waterline and a reasonable righting moment. The yards can be braced, the jibs raised and lowered by RC and it does have an electric motor. There's a Youtube video of the "Homer Bracing Winch" that explains how the pulley system works. The forward pulleys control the jibs and the aft the spanker.

I'll add a couple more photos later.

VHH New Walter Mitty Bracing Winches.jpg New Walter Mitty.jpg

rwatson likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.