How bad is this?

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by tuantom, Jul 28, 2007.

1. tuantom

tuantom Senior Member

I'm putting a 1967 24' cuddy cabin back together after I epoxied in a new transom in and reinforced the two main existing stringers w/ 3 additional layers of 1708. I had some left over material and am putting in an additional set of stringers. The boat already had 2x2's glassed into the strakes ( they're the outer strakes - ~ 10" from the chine); and I'm just adding on top of these to bring them up to the sole.

Here's the thing:

The port side stringer is custom fit and pretty much the same dimension over it's 13' span (5.25" +/- .25"). The starboard side, which is also custom fit, however, is not.:!: It's 5.25" front and back; but it tapers down to a low point of 6.25" at 8' from the transom. I've checked this every which way - and yep - it's the shape of the hull. The chines are straight as are all the other strakes - it's just the one strake that this stringer sits over.:mad:

How bad is this, and what would this mean for performance issues? I just finished rebuilding a Ford 351w est. 285 HP; so it's not high performance - but I'd like to see 40 knts. I'm putting the boat on blocks this Fall to sand and repaint the bottom - Is there anything I could do to while I'm down there? I wish I found this earlier, I may have reconsidered the project.

2. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

A wandering shape over the bottom, does not effect speed, and will not effect performance or handling in my opinion back there, it seems to keep your sole flat, you are going to have to build up the piece?

3. tuantom

tuantom Senior Member

Thanks for the quick reply,
    Sounds like I was a bit over-concerned - good news.
    Do you mean build up the stringer I'm adding? I've already scribed it so it follows the contour of the hull and keeps the sole flat.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.