Chinese Junk Home Built

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by tswheel, Sep 12, 2006.

1. tswheel

tswheel New Member

Where do I get the plans that used to be in the magazines with the catch about circumnavagation contest after building it.........popular mechanics or mechanics Illustrated

I want to build one Chinese Junk my dream of some thirty years:confused:

2. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

Buy a junk rig boat related books or use the forum search option:) Have a nice life:)

3. tswheel

tswheel New Member

you don't understand I want this article in the magazine it was my dream to build one of these boats it was a strong simple design I was a kid at the time but never forgot about it. Now I am getting ready to retire and would have the time to build it but I can't find the article and designer or how it was made I really need this article.........so I can try to get the plans etc...

4. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

5. OldYachtie

OldYachtie Junior Member

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/junkrig/ for information about the junk rig. Pretty much any yacht hull will do, but a stiff (doesn't heel much) moderate rather than light displacement hull is probably best.

6. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Actually Bergalia old chum (here we go smart ar**) a Lorcha is a vessel with a European hull and a junk rig! Bit like 'jester' of (amongst others) Blondie Haslar fame, first TRANSAT and other stuff from your era! [that'll get the old bugger going]:p :p :D :D :cool:

7. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Dammit my man, you're right...and here's me thinking you'd just stepped off the banana boat...:mad:
    Exit left eating umble pie....

1 person likes this.
  8. Duma Tau

Duma Tau Junior Member

Hi; try
    Click here: Welcome to Jonques de Plaisance®

Dimitri Le Forestier designed some beautiful sailing junks, with ancient values safeguarded, whilst utilising modern techniques like epoxy and lamination of selcted timbers.

His designs are suited to home-build, and sail so well....I love them!

Good Luck.

9. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Actually Bergalia I stopped working for Fyffes about 1974 so I've been 'off the banana boat' for some years now - pity it was a bloody good job - but that's another story!:D :D :p :D :D

10. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

:mad:
    Guess I'm in a "mood" today!
    Read the question guys. Ya'll are like a bad version of Google. You see a key word that sparks YOUR interest and give a reply. The man wants to homebuild a Junk. His only clue is some obscure plans in old magazines. Slim, I admit, but can (or will) anyone help him?
    As for you two ol farts & your banannas, if you want to yuck it up why not instant message each other. Quit stealing the mans rhread!:(

I know of some boat plans that were in these mags but I don't recall any Junks. You may have to contact some librays or do searches for "magazine boat plans", etc. Maybe someone at "Duckworks" can help.
    Sorry no one here could help you.:eek:

11. tswheel

tswheel New Member

still looking

I know for a fact I read and article and saw ads to buy these plans for a home built Junk.......it could have been mechanics illistrated not popular mechanics.......I not giving up been to the library once guess I will have to go back:cool:

12. Ari

Ari Patience s/o Genius

Junk -wooden boat construction.

Possibly the reason why it is so tough to find junk design is that ‘junks’ are built by masters from memory. Until today there is no free for all design papers on junk. Those ‘kepala tukang’ or master craftsman doesn't even write down what they do. Carsten marine do have some junk design, albeit a more modern one. I'm not very sure whether you will be able to built one your self, please visit this site to gain some ideas on junk construction.
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10778

13. Duma Tau

Duma Tau Junior Member

14. Duma Tau

Duma Tau Junior Member

Have a look here:-

http://jonquedeplaisance.net/indexEng.htm

Dimitri Le Forestier has plans for Junks in various sizes. They are all suited to home building.

I sail a 12.5meter design of his, a schooner junk which performs very well, it is fast and weatherly, and shallow draft for easy berthing, cruising and maintenance.

15. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

:) Well, a plans a plan. These look doable. More modern and more compatable with todays materials. I don't like that they leave the big Cap'n Morgan rear cabin out of the plan. Their statement that they left the allure of the "traditional" junk is just NOT true! A Junk HAS a large aft superstructure. Not free plans but you get what you pay for I find.
    At least these guys are still alive if you had a question.:D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.