1981 evinrude 115 hp recirculating hose diagram

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by captwanabee, Jul 4, 2011.

1. captwanabee

captwanabee Junior Member

does anyone have one?:)

2. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

well I got the manual but dont know what a recirculating hose diagram is ?

3. judgegage

judgegage Junior Member

The recirc lines from #1 and #2 at the intake manifold 'T' and go to the mid left cranckcase to center main bearing. #3 goes up to the #1 bypass cover. #4 goes up to #2 bypass cover. At least that is what is spec'd for my later model 115. Not sure what is up with your choke situation. There is another at the lower manifold that connects to your air silencer.

If that is what your looking for?

4. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

you will need to talk english if I am to follow this ...what are we on about oil or water or what ?

5. captwanabee

here are pics

this is how i got but what im hearing it doesent feel right

Attached Files:

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

vacuum

7. captwanabee

i need to know were exactly they go
    a guy suggested that could be part of the problem and either way i need them to be right
    i have a repair man. but these are not mentioned in it

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

And the problem is?

9. captwanabee

evinson

at idle has abad miss and cant stay runing real hard coughing miss i have replaced carbs fuel pump plug wires power pack starter has 105 psi on all 4

10. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

still dont know what we are recirculating ..??

11. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

At what RPM does it start to go away?

What about in gear labouring --does it still do it?

Does it do it on cold with choke?

Does it make any difference if you pump the bulb while its idling.

You say plug wires!! not the plugs.

Did you check the reed valves when you fit new carbs( new or second hand or overhauled by whom)

12. captwanabee

not sure what rpm (no tach) but i would guess around 2500-3000 rpm it starts sounding good, there doesent seem to be any load on it, its the same in or out of gear,i have primer sol. hot or cold the same, bulb has no effect, yes plugs and wires, did not check reed valves i am a outside shade tree mech. never cracked open a boat motor and clueless about reed valves exept theorey, i did carbs ive always been good with carbs from back in the day when thats all they used on gas motors what happend was i bought off crieg list i was suppose to be buying a 1976 johnson 135 hp after about 5 months and a real long story what i found was i have a 1976 johnson lower end/tilt&trim with a 1981 evinrude 115 hp power head with the 1976 carbs, the guy i bought it from could have atleast give me a reach around!

13. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

2500-3500 under load then its not the recirc system or the idle circuit

Whats with the large cable on the powerpak mounting bolt
    That should be on the start mounting bolt on the other side

Always hard to trouble shoot a mix and match engine but the bypass covers on your engine have 2 nipples 1 for for the recirc system and the other is for the primer solenoid for starting ( choke )
    There should be 4 nipples in the inlet manifold which have one way valves in them plus one extra for the air silencer drain ( as mentioned above)
    This system was changed several times over the years so a bit hard to work out from the internet what you have

How about some more photos of the engine.
    I wonder how much is from each model?

PS there is not alot of difference from a 76 135 to a 81 115 the 135 powerhead rated the 115 propshaft rated
    The 135 had massive compression so clearly you dont have those heads on your engine.
    saying that the primer / recirc system and carbs are so hence my test will not be possible, yours has a fuel jet for idle.
    It must have and interesting connection for the gear shift as that was very different under the bottom carb??

14. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

The genuine manual has an excellent diagram and explanation of the recirc system as does any genuine manual when the engine has external hoses
    If you dont know what it is and what it is for you shouldnt really be giving advice and an outboard ( Unless its a 4 stroke)

15. judgegage

judgegage Junior Member

The miss/cough is a vacuum leak. If these lines are routed wrong it can cause the problem. Take a look at one that is running.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.