Where to start!

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Rui_370, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Rui_370

Rui_370 New Member

Hello!

I am new to this forum and to boat restoration, but i always loved old wooden boats. I have found on the internet a 1958 small powerboat (3,70 m) and i think i will buy it. The previous owner had already repainted the hull, but all the work inside an on the decks needs to be done. I want to leave as much of the wood showing as possible. So my question is, what should i do first? I was thinking to start by removing all the old varnish with a chemical remover (dont know the proper term for it in english) then sand it and finaly aplying the marine two component varnish. I wil add some pictures i took of the boat when i went to look at it.

Attached Files:

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Chemical removers break down wood fibers and often destroy caulk and glue. You should hire a surveyor or boat carpenter to inspect it if possible.