:) wheelife adventure

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by wheelife, Dec 2, 2005.

1. wheelife

wheelife New Member

Hi everbody, My name is Lance
    I thought I should introduce myself and let you know of a little adventure I have planned this weekend Dec.4 2005

The following is from a great forum I belong to called LX forums. This site is dedicated to owners of new Dodge LX
    platform cars i.e. dodge magnum, chargers, 300s
    I recently purchased a Magnum R/T and yeah its got a hemi!!!

This project got re-started because of a planned meeting of LXforum members in Toronto this weekend Dec.4 2005 If anybody would like to attend please let me know P/M or I/M
    me
    the following are some of my posts related to this meeting

Originally Posted by wheelife
    Ok whos wood boat is that bigjim on your site!!
    I sold my 22ft Richardson Vagabond 283 buick nailhead when I moved from T.O.(i shouldnt have sold it) Uhhohh I may just have to by it back and hey I can tow that puppy now wont the wife be impressed if I bring that back with me. Mrs wheelife said that if our next purchase has wheels on it I might be sleeping in it.
    hehehe she didnt say anything about it floating I better get rid of the anchor though (lol)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheelife
    pinch me...
    I just got off the phone with he guy I sold the boat to and low and behold he will sell it back to me so it looks like i am in for a real adventure WOW....

A few details, 22ft Richardson Vagabond with the original 283 buick nailhead engine and matching out drive.The boat is built of Brunzeel plywood with lapstrake construction built in the early 60s, co-incidenially the boat was built in New Brunswick so it really is coming home on many levels... This boat is of ultalight construction and combined with the nailhead engine will reach speeds in excess of 45 knots, which is a very wild ride in a wooden boat.
    Generally speaking the boat is in good shape but will require a refurbishment. however I hope to restore the boat without the use of fiberglass so if you know anybody with some Brunzeel plywood that they dont want please let me know.

When I had the boat last, I spent a great deal of money re-building a trailer to exactly fit this boat and yes the trailer comes with the boat.

I hope to photo-document my little road trip for those that wish to
    vicariously live through my outragous antics!!!

An update on my little road trip.
    Trailer hitch is being installed on friday.
    I will be leaving New Brunswick Saturday morning arriving in Bobcaygeon very early Sunday morning.
    ( drive time to Bobcaygeon, that is where the boat is, should be 14 hours
    after a good sleep in the magnum I will setup the trailer lights and perform any mods
    required to make the trailer safe and head out for Toronto and Jaak Attack.
    Yep I will have it in tow at the meet on Sunday (no laughing when you see the boat ok guys!!) lol

mrs wheelife will post my progress on saturday night for all those curious.
    I will bring my video camera so I should get some good footage of the drive and the meet.
    Speaking of footage with the trailer and magnum I think I will be more than 44 feet long.

If you all will have me I would like to ask advice with regard to making this boat sea-worthy

Cheers.
    Lance

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.