What is your favorite book on boatbuilding?

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Boreas, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Boreas

Boreas Junior Member

I've already build a canoe -from a magazine plan- and I've got some woodworking skills. I'd like to keep on boatbuilding and I've bought some books on this subject but I strongly think I must have the best documentation I can. That is why I need you to tell me what is for you the best book on wooden boatbuilding and the reason for such a consideration.

All the best.

2. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

John Guzzwell: Modern Wooden Yacht Construction.

Cold molded long before it was popular. Fairer and easier than a cored one-off. A book to have at ones access when building a yacht.

3. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Buehlers Backyard Boat Building, A good simple commonsense approach to building boats.

There is a list of boat building books on my links page at http://newboatbuilders.com/pages/links.html Look about half way down on the left side, and at the bottom of the page.

4. LP

LP Flying Boatman

Based on your thread on sharing plans, I get the impression that that is the boat you want to build or something similar. This book might do the trick for you.

How to Build a Wooden Boat (Hardcover)
    by David C. McIntosh (Author),

It's a modern book, but is based on traditional wood builds.

The George Buehler book has a good rigging section. You may also need a source for determining scantlings and fastener sizing.

5. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

Chapelle, as you know :)
    and "Building small boats" by Greg Rössel,
    + some Norwegian books on lapstrake building

Modern methods:
    "Boatbuilding Simplified" by Herbert J. Ashcroft, very old!
    Gougeon Brothers, of course.

Then I like to look at pictures and drawings in books from William Garden (he also writes quite amusingly :)

6. Roly

Roly Senior Member

My favorites:

"Elements of boat strength" by David Gerr because he addresses scantlings with a minimum of fuss.

"Gourgeon brothers on Boat construction" because they make it all so achievable and kinda make it like you are still a kid in a sand pit! Or a pupil in craft class.

I have simple tastes...

7. chandler

chandler Senior Member

Ruel Parkers "new cold molded boatbuilding" is my current read. Very informative, lousy pics and diagrams, but some interesting stuff.
    Of course Gourgeon Bros. Though haven't picked up th new revised edition.
    Macintosh is good if you want to get down and dirty and don't care about how long the hull will last. Steward is the bible for wood.

8. Boreas

Boreas Junior Member

Thank you all. I have allready started reading Larry Padley and I'd like to know if you Raggi_Thor - or any other willing member - know of other boats that have similar caracteristics to the one on the thread "I wanna share these plans" and fits for amateur building??.

9. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

If you want to build it the traditional way, maybe Chapelle is the best?
    Or do you want something more modern, lighter, faster in plywood and epoxy?
    What size, weight, load to carry, speed etc do you want?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.