Transom angle and plywood

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by rasorinc, Oct 22, 2012.

1. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

My plans (Glen-L Cuddy Sport) call for a transom angle of 18 1/2* (4/12)
    Single outboard 25" shaft. On either side of the well the transom continues up at 4/12 to almost 4' overall with seats on opposite side. Transom is 2 layers of 3/4" ply with with 2x4 and 2x6 wraping edges. At 25" I would like to turn the transom vertical to the top (where the seats go) instead of continuing the 4/12 angle. The only way I see to do this is by using 6 laters of 1/4" ply to bend to the vertical and that costs $$$. Can I score the 3/4"
    plywood to make this bend then cut a 2x6 to go over the scored area for strength?? Using epoxy. All ideas welcome. Thanks, Stan PS outboard well is 36" wide.
    I meant to get this under wood boat building do not know where it is posted now.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  2. LP

LP Flying Boatman

Here is an idea. I bit more work than your plan, but little or no increase in weight. If you are looking for a bright finish, maybe a veneer on the upper portion to cover the splice.

I think you could forego the 1 X 4 and just goop and tape the inner joint with a couple of layers of tape.

transomjoint.JPG

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

If you reverse the angled cuts on the above drawing the external view will just be a simple seam and not end grain.

You're not going to able to kerf and bend 3/4" stock. 18.5 degrees of transom angle is a lot, I hope you have power tilt and trim.

4. LP

LP Flying Boatman

I don't know about Rasorinc, but you're going to have to draw me a picture, Paul. :eek:

5. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Par, I stand corrected.. The transon V is 4/12, the transom angle is 3/12 or 14*. Thanks for pointing that out and reversing the cuts. LP, I've been staring at these dwawings for hours and never thought about staggered laminations yet I've done many.
    Must be going line blind. A big thank you to both of you. Stan

6. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

That should do it. Takes a bit more attention to get it right, but the result looks much better.

7. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Thanks everyone, I really appreciated the help. Stan

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.