Suggestions needed for hauling boat

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by gmarie, Jun 19, 2007.

1. gmarie

gmarie Junior Member

I have a 25-foot wooden power boat under construction that I need to move to a new location about 10 miles away in Salem, Oregon. The hull of the boat is completed and turned, with the cabin and pilot house partially framed. Beam is 9 feet, 4 inches. It is on a dolly. At this point it probably weigh 3-4,000 pounds. What is the best way to haul it? Know of any moving companies that can handle it?

Note: I did not start this project; my husband did. But then he died before he could finish it. I intend to finish it for him and donate it to a charity when I am done. But in the mean time, I need to move it to a shop I am renting. Thanks!

2. Flumixt

Flumixt Junior Member

10 miles ain't much. Can you latch on and drag it in the middle of the night or early Sunday morning when the cops are at home? If not:

Look in your yelow pages. There's lots of heavy haulng outfits that can handle it. Barnhart Crane service is just one, for exmple. The whole thing might have to go onto another carrier. You don't say if the dolly is roadable. Your boat is over width (more than 8.5 feet) so you'd need a permit for that. They can tell you all you need to know and probly more than you want to know. Look for $50 -$100 per hour.

3. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Around here we use Brownelle rigs, which are trailers that have removable cross members and so they can be maneuvered under a boat from the end (usu. the bow end), and once straddling the boat, hydraulic pads lift the boat up, cross-members are slid into place, lowered onto cross members, and away they go.
    The Dolly should pesent no big problem if lifting a foot or so would raise it enough to drive the boat clear. The dolly is nothing different than a boat cradle, which those trailers go around all the time.
    I'd guess the cost would be based on time to deliver the trailer to your boat, and then road time. The boat is narrow enough, it's doubtful you will need any special permit---- the company who moves it should have a blanket permit already, which allows widths within which your boat falls.
    Most important is access, level ground, and manuevering room.
    Rainwater is not good for any wood boat. Not only should the boat be covered once re-situated, but means to drain the hull should be set up as if the boat were not covered, just in case. This could amount to a hole drilled in the right place. The last thing you need is to worry about senseless damage from rainwater.
    To cover the boat, a skilled carpenter can make a simple frame in an hour or two. A poly tarp should be ready, maybe 30x50 ft, unless you have a boat cover already.
    The cost to transport would probably not exceed $250-$300.

Alan

4. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Maybe a tow truck like they use to haul cars around. One where the bed tilts and a winch pulls the load onto the trailer. Sam

5. gmarie

gmarie Junior Member

Thanks, I'll check into these options. I am moving the boat to a shop I am renting in a light industrial complex. I'm pretty sure the access is adequate, but I will double check. Thanks for the pricing info. Being ignorant of such things, I wasn't sure what to expect and I'd rather not get ripped off if I can avoid it. Wish me luck!

1 person likes this.

6. artemis

artemis Steamboater

Hope I'm not too late.

I live in Portland, OR and have used - and recommended with excellent results - Norgard Boat Hauling, 503-253-6428 (they're located in Scappoose). Extremely knowledgeable, very careful, and moderately priced. And they can get in and out of some tight spots. Mom and Pop type operation so you can call during any reasonable hours. :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.