Stock Plans for a 100% wooden 60' Gaff Ketch or old gaffer and small tall ship wanted

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by BCB, May 22, 2006.

1. BCB

BCB Junior Member

I am planning to have a wooden sail ship designed and built. I have a very tight budget; but realistic. To this end I am soliciting help, advise and guidance. I am looking for stock plans; this would seem to be a great start. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. Do these generally contain Material take offs ETC so I can cost the vessel?

The ship I am dreaming of, as a minimum, must meet all the relevant design, build & safety regulations of the United Kingdom. The vessel must be capable of sailing in all temperatures of water including iced. I want to be able to sail her across the all the seas, in most weathers. She must be efficient. I would like to be able to moor her in the major rivers of the world.

Yes I also have a dream. I was born in Liverpool 10 mins from the MERSEY and watched the ships come and go…and always leaving me behind (and some stuff that conveniently fell off the back of the vessel whilst being unloaded or loaded). This will change!!. I turned 40 last month and got divorced!!

I am looking for a design that will allow a minimum crew ( ideally one person, is this even possible ? ) to sail her efficiently.

From a purely cosmetic point of view I love the ship detailed below in the link

www.tangaroa-sailing.com.

( Please note; I contacted the owner of the detailed ship before I posted this!. I also understand from the owner ( A Nice Guy ) that the detailed ship , at the right price might be reluctantly sold!)

But I am not sure in terms of handling/efficiency/drag/design ETC. I travel a lot with work & plan to live on the boat ( currently in the UAE ); even maybe a charter or two

Any guidance you can give or suggest the stock plans to use ETC would be would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

BCB

2. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

Maybe you would consider steel for sailing in ice?
    http://www.dixdesign.com/liberte65.htm

Cost is very closely related to weight.
    So if you estimate a total displacement, ballast, cargo and stores, you can make a good estimate for material costs.

3. BCB

BCB Junior Member

Thanks Ragnar.

With regard to cost, is there a formula IE one ton in wieght (displacement, ballast, cargo and stores) = one Pound ETC?,

Regards,

BCB

4. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

For wooden boat for cold and hash environment I would try Gartside design type Alaska..... but no 60ft maybe you should send him an email....... wood is cheap in Indonesia.

5. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

There has been much discussion on the large variety od "stock plans" and some rather uninformed expectations on what "stock plans" will get you.

http://www.kastenmarine.com

This is a fine web site and if you look you will see a realistic breakdown on stock plans , what you get for your cash.

For a couple of hundred dollars you ONLY get a plan suitable to estimate IF you can afford to build the boat ,
    NOT the info needed to ACTUALLY build the boat.

Estimating plans are not building plans , although lots of designers will refund the estimating plans cost IF you purchase the building plans.

For the woody builders the best place for FREE plans is in the library.
    Rudder and many early boating magazines DID publish complete plans.
    A few designers like Herrishoff wrote extensivly in their books on building specifdic designs.

Good hunting!

FAST FRED

6. BCB

BCB Junior Member

Thanks. Wellydeckhand & Fast Fred.

7. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

BCB,

Rough cost can be estimated from the weight (displacement) of a particular vessel. Tangaroa is claimed to displace 53 tons, or about 118,000 pounds. A good man can build somewhere between 2.5 and 4.5 pounds of boat per hour. So construction man hours might range from 22,000 to 47,000 man hours for a copy of Tangeroa. Multiply man hours by shop rate per hour, and double that to cover materials = rough cost.

Current cost of construction at Covey Island Boatworks in Nova Scotia is $50 CAD/hr, so the low estimate is $1.1m for labour and $2.2m CAD total. This is a little over 1m GBP today.

You can quickly see the advantage of going to more modern (less massive) construction, lighter weight means less dollars. I would investigate construction in Indonesia, Turkey, and Brazil. Any of these options will require on-site (highly skilled) management.

Existing stock plans that comply with any current EC regulations will be very difficult to find, especially for charter use where the vessel and crew must comply with MCA requirements. Be aware there will be large differences between requirements for new construction vs existing vessels.

Contact Ed Burnett in England http://www.burnettyachtdesign.co.uk

All the best, Tad

8. Hunter25

Hunter25 Senior Member

9. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

Go Indonesia, I will provide you with the builder, in return you gonna treat me to a big lunch.....:) worker labour and lumber are cheap..... but you need a professional guy keep watching them to work out the detail on site. a quater of the GBP mentioned if you stay on site.

WDH , PM or email me.

10. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

You can also try Russia :)
    Some Norwegians have had large wooden boats built in the northern part of Russia. They have fine slow grown pine and larch.

11. BCB

BCB Junior Member

Open message to all those who responded.

Users of this site have responded far greater than I expected. Some gave me the advice I asked for and some gave me advice I didn’t ask for. In all cases whether I liked to hear what they say or NOT; it was sincere.

I have now received all the help, advice and guidance I solicited.

THANK YOU!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.