stern tube problem

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by urisvan, Jan 23, 2014.

1. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You can use roofing tar. The one with fibers in it is the best; cheap too.

2. urisvan

urisvan Senior Member

can be possible to find in small containers, i just need 1 gram maybe just to put to the threads.

And one more problem please: when placing shaft bearing in place, also it must bond well with the hull too. I think i need a sealant for there. (please look at the photo)Again i looked at sika. As i read the instructions, to bond bronze with the hull, i need to put some primer to bronze and this primer is very expensive. Do you have any recommendation?

Regards
    Ulas

Attached Files:

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I have successfully used fibrous roofing tar in those applications. It will show a dark stain on the bottom paint. If that is not a problem, there is no cheaper sealant. They make it in caulkgun tubes.

4. urisvan

urisvan Senior Member

thank you very much Gonzo,

you also opened me another door my friend. So i will not worry about what to use if there is no chandler around. It is a kind of independence.

Regards
    Ulas

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You're welcome. Good luck with your project. I have worked in many places where supplies were limited, so I understand.

6. urisvan

urisvan Senior Member

Hi,
    Gonzo, it is weird that i couldnt find tar here! Although there are many polyurethane mastics around.

As i understood from your comments, i should look for any polysulphide sealant. brand is not so important.

Regards
    Ulas

7. urisvan

urisvan Senior Member

there are some arylic and silicone mastics around also. usually they sell it as construction materials.

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Those could work too. They stay soft so you can remove parts in the future if necessary.

9. urisvan

urisvan Senior Member

Hi Gonzo,

sorry for sucessive messages, i am learning more and i want to use the wright material.

There are RTV Silicones that are resistant to 300 celcius. I think they are also resistant to sea water too. But as i read from their technical sheet, their tensile strength are quite high (2,2 N/mm2).

You say that they will stay soft.. Why, wont they cure and harden also?

10. urisvan

urisvan Senior Member

And what about using locktite?

11. urisvan

urisvan Senior Member

Their tensile strength are high but while unscrewing i think the shear strength is imporant. i guess it will be possible to unscrew, what do you think? Also it is important that if they prevent corrosion and galling of the threads, isnt it?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.