Small fishing boat

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Mikas, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Mikas

Mikas Junior Member

Well I will try start from beginning :)
    Old fishing boat rotten, and some clever guy managed to saw it into small pieces :( Nothing left for restoration.
    So I decided build small boat for fishing. What I need is to manage carry it on my own to water fit myself, ant fill my spinning and some small fishing gear.
    Started form looking internet for some projects. Ant first trials :)
    First is Jon Boat from old Popular Mechanics, second one called Forest, and third is called Mini Auray punt by http://koti.kapsi.fi/hvartial/index.htm

Attached Files:

2. Mikas

Mikas Junior Member

Well after some consulting with my girlfriend (she understands about beauty) I finished my choice on Mini Auray punt. Mainly because it's smaller ant lighter. As I mentioned earlier I need to carry it alone so weight does difference.
    Plywood bought, epoxy i have left from other projects, glass tape bought and building started.
    First mal line was drawn.
    After according to plans points was added.
    To every point small nail was nailed.
    With help of thin wooden stripe all points joined as curve.

Attached Files:

3. Mikas

Mikas Junior Member

Well with some help of jigsaw plywood is cut. First one side then I put cut side on plywood sheet,making marking and cutting second side.
    Not big job, just to to be made carefully.

Attached Files:

4. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Mikas, We have another forum member from Lithuania. Laukejas has built a small sailboat with the same requirements for light weight and ability to carry the boat on the car top. Laukejas lives in Kaunas. You could contact him by using a Personal Message through the forum if you choose to speak with one of your countrymen that has the same interest in boat building.

5. Mikas

Mikas Junior Member

Wow I'm not alone with boat building in Lithuania. People usually buying inflatable small boats for fishing. But personally I look little bit sceptical at inflatables. Other side is price. I hope this one will cost me max 25% of similar inflatable.
    Low weight I need not for carrying on car top. I hangar boat in maebye hundred meters from lake. I need to carry it ant put in the water alone. Few years ago it was Brig big inflatable nice boat but you need at least three men to carry it. And it was useless only taking place in garage.

Going forward. First I tried to bent plywood using wooden blocks. But in bow it was impossible to do that. Then only classical way left - just use wires.
    Thats how it look.

Attached Files:

6. messabout

messabout Senior Member

It looks like you are well on your way to having a new boat. The Auray punt is a little bit of an oddity these days but it is a tried and true design.

Incidentally there are several ways to do that bending with simple exterior building frames, and wooden wedges, without using wires. Never mind, you have already done it with wire and you will soon be ready for spring time fishing.

Keep up the good work.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  7. Mikas

Mikas Junior Member

Work going forward.
    Using some glass tape and epoxy sides now glued to bottom. After taking out wires I'm going to use microsfere slurry in all corners ant glue all joints on top once again with tape.

Attached Files:

8. Mikas

Mikas Junior Member

All joints from inside finished. Now going to flip over and glass joints and all hull form outside. Still not sure about seat position and height from floor, but i hope i will find when boat will be in water.

Attached Files:

9. LP

LP Flying Boatman

I am concerned because, from your photos, it looks like you have taped and then filleted. Typically its done the other way. The is a good chance you have lost some joint strength this way.

10. Mikas

Mikas Junior Member

Taped between wires, filled, and then taped again on top. Filled with microsfere slurry. Anyway strength gained using glass and epoxy, not filler.

11. LP

LP Flying Boatman

Just offering concern because the photos were unclear. Sound like you've got a plan. Happy building.

12. Mikas

Mikas Junior Member

Well i think longest step already made. It's glassing from outside. For two it took about 4 hours or so. I've used one layer, hope it's enough for bottom protection

Attached Files:

13. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

I didnt see where you said what weight of glass you used. If its at least 6oz ( 250 gsm) it will be fine.

Thats the weight you normally use for kayaks and the like.

It might be worth putting some re-inforcing where the hull grounds first, as that is usually the most likely place for small impacts.

I also tend to put an additional layer where stepping in is done, in case you push the hull down onto a rock or similar when loading.

It shouldnt add that much to the weight.

14. Mikas

Mikas Junior Member

I've used 200g/m2 glass. And there will be not reinforcements but some skegs?( nor shure how these are called) on bottom. I'm launching boat from footbridge ant height from the water is about 1 m so these are necessary not to rub then launching ant taking out form water.

15. pauloman

pauloman Epoxy Vendor

I tape and then fillet. Plenty strong on small boats (don't even bother to take the exterior seams). Use the fillets for smooth curves inside the hull.

I often add skegs - makes for better traclng and abrasion resistance.

paul oman
    progresssivce epoxy polymers inc
    epoxyproducts.com