Skiff

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by hoytedow, Sep 18, 2014.

1. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

How about polystyrene foam? That is closed cell. There is an outlet in Lakeland if they will sell such a small piece as I need. I called and left a message. Waiting to hear back.

2. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Yes , thats what I intended to say but hadn't my morning coffee yet. Polyester is what I have to pick up today, resin to encapsulate my ballast. My shopping list says 5 gal. polyethylene resin, which shows where my brain is at today. A Multitasking day it is not. :)
    Another product I have used successfully is available at just about any building supply store. Rigid foam insulation sheets. They come in 2 ft. x 8ft, are blue or pink in colour and are designed to ship lap each other. I think max. thickness is 21/2 to 3 in. These have an extremely low water absorption rate with the "bury rated" (300 series I recall) having next to 0. They cost between $12 and $20 depending on thickness. I used this product as floatation in several boats while trying to track down the polyester that has the characteristics of polyethylene --- :) --Geo.

3. hoytedow

I will check at the home improvement store today.

4. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Hoyt , product is Owens/Corning code board, C300 for direct bury. (pink colour)--Geo.

5. hoytedow

6. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Polystyrene --yup thats the product by a different brand - Possibly made by the same company. Very stiff,cuts real nice with a saw or knife does not flake away at the edges. I have used it in construction, insulating around underground water pipes and as an exterior insulation on concrete foundations -- No problem with water absorption however UV will eat it if exposed. Great Stuff, reasonably priced --Good luck ---Geo.

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The polystyrene George mentioned isn't a structural foam (typically about 1.5 cu. ft.), but does work fairly well as a mold, insulation, floatation, etc. If you lay enough 'glass over it, it works with low load sandwich structures. It's peel strength in a laminate, isn't very good, but it doesn't absorb much moisture and it's cheap, which is why most use it.

8. hoytedow

I figured I would cut it loose enough to drop into place then lock it in with 2 part foam around the edges.

9. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Aaahh, I hate that 2 part foam next to wood even if it's (wood)glassed over. Dam stuff absorbs water/moisture/ high humidity, like a sponge. Hoyt food for thought, cut the polystyrene to fit snug to where it contacts the hull and seat walls and run a thin strip of GRP (2in. wide)around it's top edge running say 1in. up the hull and seat insides to lock it in. You can actually glass one or two layers over the entire foam top and make a nice bottom for your in seat storage area. I know it's extra work but that dam 2 part foam should be banned from boat building. Now someone is going to respond and say it's perfectly ok if sealed in. Baloney I say there's enough rotted out transome and floor repair work out there to prove otherwise. I hate the stuff. Then again it bought me a few loaves of bread to go with my beer :)

10. hoytedow

Good point.

11. messabout

messabout Senior Member

I'm with you VN. The stuff is a misery. I have used enough of it to not do it again. I have seldom been able to persuade it to fill the a cavity neatly. It has a mind of its own.

12. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

The polyethylene foam is probably the best foam you can use for flotation. If any one can show me anything better, I would like to see it. It is more expensive here than the other options, not sure what price is like there by you.

13. viking north

viking north VINLAND

It's not for peanuts here either, The only place I could find it in eastern Canada was in Toronto where it is manufactured . Min. order was $500.

14. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Them's fightin(g) words :). Hoyt this is your thread, we need a referee :p

15. hoytedow

Now you two make peace! How will we build a flotilla when there is rancor in the ranks?