Should I repair my wood mast or use aluminum one?

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by filiperosa, Jun 23, 2008.

1. filiperosa

filiperosa Junior Member

Hello.
    I got a 26ft Diamond Catamaran.
    It comes with the original wood mast (around 40 years old) and by the meantime the previous seller got a aluminum mast (it measures more 1 ft than the previous one) and have the spreaders broken. I do not want to change the rest of the rigging or the sails.
    I would like to know if it would be better to repair the old wood mast or place the aluminum one.
    Regards,

Filipe

Attached Files:

• bf1.jpg
      bf1.jpg
      File size:
      242.4 KB
      Views:
    • bf2.jpg
      bf2.jpg
      File size:
      289.1 KB
      Views:
    • bf3.jpg
      bf3.jpg
      File size:
      60.6 KB
      Views:
  2. filiperosa

filiperosa Junior Member

some more photos

Attached Files:

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The aluminum mast will likely need new hardware, because the wooden mast's will not fit properly. The wooden mast appears to have some seams opening up, probably other issues as well.

The aluminum mast can be cut down to suit your current sail plan, but there's a fair amount of work to do in this type of conversion.

If you have a wooden mast that is sound, then make repairs and refinish it. All the hardware will remain and it'll be less costly. If the wooden mast is past due for replacement (it must be accessed by a qualified person), then you may consider the aluminum, remembering the hardware will also need to change.

4. filiperosa

filiperosa Junior Member

Hello Par,
    I think the wooden mast in general is sound. I took photo of the worst bits and maybe I will keep it.
    It is a good method strip it down and refinish it with epoxy?
    Regards,

Filipe

5. masalai

masalai masalai

Build a new wooden mast - looks very sexy, will maintain the "tradition" and I have seen it done - seems easy enough for a "professional" to do.....:D:D:D

6. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

I'm with Mas,

Build a new one if needed (should be easy, as it's rather squarish), or repair the broken bits with scarfed in wood – likewise: should be easy, it doesn't look that bad.
    And yes, go with epoxy, just remember to do it in the shade ;-)

Oh, and either use some UV inhibitors in the epoxy and/or coat it with UV-saturated lacquer afterwards.

Edit: The UV-saturated lacquer will make the epoxy last longer without discolouring, and the epoxy will make the lacquer last longer because the lacquer sticks better to epoxy than the wood, and the poxy sticks better to wood than the lacquer (If I phrased that right, it should make sense, lol).

7. filiperosa

filiperosa Junior Member

Hi.
    Thanks for the help. I think I will just repair the wooden one with epoxy and lacquer. In general the codition seams very good. I just have another question. The boom is not with any varnish. Should I cover it with epoxy also?
    Thank you,

Filipe

8. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

If it's dry I think you should. If for nothing else, then for longevity and the same "look" as the mast.

Lacquer/epoxy (latex in a pinch, ha ha) is all good and used to protect the wood. Especially fresh water (rain) will make a great base for rot, so it's a good idea to protect it against that.

I'd do the same with the boom as with the mast - definately.

9. Knautcal

Knautcal Junior Member

Hi
    You should take the time to repair and or replace the wood mast and boom. It does appear to be in quality shape for it's age. You will find that you will have a greater sense of accomplishment once refitted. If you want to head into it with good background knowledge read Skene"s elements of yacht design, chapter 17 spars and rigging. Enjoy...

10. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I wouldn't epoxy your mast, unless it was completely dissembled (I'll still not do it, unless a client insisted). It was likely assembled with a shellac interior and was glued with shellac, resorcinol or a hide glue, plus fasteners. If constructed properly, a traditional wooden build lasts quite a while (as clearly noted in this 40 year old stick), so changing methods and approaches to repair or restoration is unwise and possibly creates potential for new, future issues.

Wedge open the obvious seam gaps, clean them and reglue with plastic resin or resorcinol, then clamp strongly until cure. Finish with varnish if you want to be able to repair the finish easily, polyurethane if you like, knowing it's more difficult to repair or lacquer if you want the minimum of a glossy clear coat protection and next to no solvent resistance.