Should I or not? (ply speed boat restauration)

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by solemo, Apr 4, 2008.

1. solemo

solemo New Member

Hi Everyone,

Im thinking of plunging into the world of boat owners. I have this shell of a boat that I can get restored for about €1000, the thai (im in thailand) boat builders say they will replace all ply around and in the boat, double ply underneath and fix all seats and ply inside the boat. Even includig the seats formed to my liking. The engine they say will fit the boat is a 60-85HP and it will do around 50KM/h.

What I want is a day boat for diving and picknics. I want to be able to have 4-6 Divetanks, easy access to get on the boat from the water and a table for 4 persons. I know, I know...I'm asking for a lot.

What I want to ask is can/should a boat like this have fiber glass done to it, in & out? and should I even bother buying it?

I can get exactly the same boat down the pier with a yamaha 85HP for about €2400, it's in running condition but needs a lot of work here and there.

BR

Andreas

Attached Files:

2. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Go for a ride in the working boat. If you like it, find out the cost of having the shell completed, including the cost of the outboard and rigging the steering and controls. The rebuilt boat is the one I'd probably go for, because all the hull will be new BS1088. The €2400 cost might double, who knows? At €4800, the rebuilt shell could be the best looking and strongest boat on that coast.

It's all about whom you feel comfortable with and yes, all plywood must be covered with fibreglass cloth and epoxy resin and then painted, as epoxy is not UV resistant. Whilst having the rebuild you might even be able to squeeze in a table.:p :p

Good luck,

Pericles

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I think you're better suited finding a style of boat (deck layout) and hull type (amount of V) that is well suited to your needs and common operating area. If you need a deep water boat, preferably with an easy access transom and cockpit are, then the boat shown isn't the one. Stability and freeboard are another issues, typically in a "dive" boat platform, used in blue water.

As a rule, you'll likely do better if you get a package that's much closer to being splash ready, then something that needs a full rebuild, plus new equipment. Check out the local water front and see what others are using for dive boats, then look for similar hull and deck arrangements.

A powerboat is little more then the propulsion and equipment aboard. If you start with no equipment and propulsion, plus extensive repairs, you're basically buying a new boat, when the costs are all said and done, so you might as well buy one (or slightly used), rather than risk the speculation of a redo.

4. solemo

solemo New Member

Heavy or not..?

Hi guys and thanks,

I had look yesterday again at the different boats and I also talked to a few boat owners here. Seams that a lot of them say the boat will turn to heavy if I glass it and also the problem with moist and water seeping in between the glass and ply... So I'm back to square one.

I'm not sure how it is in other parts of the world but ply speedboats are really cheep here in Thailand even here in Phuket even though it is the "Disneyland" of Thailand with extremely lots of tourists. So on one hand I want a cheep boat for some fun and on the other hand I´d love a boat that last longer then a couple of years. I know...you cant keep the cake and eat it..:(

So I´ll keep looking around and wait till I have enough money either to rebuild or by a new(used) one.

For a 18" speedboat (like on the photos above) what would the materials for an out/inside glass job with epoxy and paint ruffly cost?

BR

Andreas

5. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

If that is the standard of workmanship of those Thai boat builders, then stay away from them is my advice. Epoxy resin and fibre glass cloth, correctly applied, are the standard materials to build marine ply boats in the western world. Those materials keep the water out and the wood dry. If they want to slather polyester resin over the hull, that's a different matter because that's the wrong resin.

It's time for you to do some research.

http://bateau2.com/content/category/5/78/28/

http://www.bateau.com/

http://www.devlinboat.com/sgfp.htm

Pericles

6. pila

pila Junior Member

One thing is certain; it wont take long to sink a ton of money in rebuilding an old boat, been there.
    I'm happy with my old wood cabin cruiser, but my pockets aren't as deep as they were:D
    Getting an old boat the way YOU want it will surely cost more than a simple fix-it-up job.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.