Second Build Selection

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by crosscut, Aug 13, 2008.

1. crosscut

crosscut Junior Member

With the help of this forum, my first build, a flat bottom skiff, came out really nice. I hope you can be a help in selecting my second build. In my head, I feel that the next logical step would be a multi-chine build like a Nutshell Pram. In my heart, I really want to build a Penobscot 14. I've seen the P14 described as a good started project, but, it looks intimidating to me. Here is where I need advise. Should I go with my head or heart? Is there a good compromise boat out there like a smaller lapstrake boat? Thanks

1 person likes this.
  2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Hi crosscut,

I think this is the one?
    http://www.archdavisdesigns.com/davis_penobscot14.html

OK, so it may look a bit intimidating. But:
    - You've already built one boat and it sounds you were quite happy with how it turned out
    - You really like the P14 (and not surprising, it's an awfully pretty boat)
    - If I read the Arch Davis site correctly, they include full-size patterns and a detailed 74pg build manual along with the set of 12 drawings

If this is what you want to build, why spend your time and money on a "compromise boat" that isn't really what you're looking for? Treat the PB14 as a challenge and recognize that you'll encounter some problems, you'll work through them, and you'll come out of it a happier owner and a more experienced boatbuilder.

3. elmog

elmog Junior Member

Crosscut-

Can you post a pic of your completed flat bottomed skiff? Jim

4. crosscut

crosscut Junior Member

Jim: I was reluctant to post a picture on the forum, my work pales in comparison to what I have seen here. I guess It is only fair to post a picture since I got so much help here.
    [​IMG]

5. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

The only part of the photo that looks a bit daggy is the rust on the trailer.

It looks a nicely built and finished craft. I hope it rewards the obvious effort put into it.

If only I had the patience for such workmanship.

Will be interested in what you take on next.

Rick W

6. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

nice Fair job me lad,

7. crosscut

crosscut Junior Member

Ah........ the trailer. That was rescue mission. The trailer set in the weeds for 8 years before I got hold of it. I rebuilt the hubs with bearings, seals and races, replaced the lights and replaced some shackles. I sold the boat on Tuesday. A gentleman fell in love with it. He said if reminded him so much of the boat he and his father had when he was a kid. He has boated all his life and knows wooden boats need TLC. I sold it to him for what I had in it for materials. A real win, win, he is really happy and I can do build number two.

8. BHOFM

BHOFM Senior Member

I don't see anything but a beautiful job, and if you factor
    in it was your first, it is top of the line!

I like your choice of color for your shed and house!!

This was taken about 3 hours after the tornado hit! I let the
    yard go to seed every spring! A 15 year old girl died just
    a few blocks from us on the morning this happened! We
    were very lucky, just minor damage!!

Again, job well done!

Attached Files:

9. elmog

elmog Junior Member

Thanks Crosscut for posting the picture. A real fine job you've done. I'll bet you get as much fun out of building as you do floating! It shows in your workmanship. Jim

10. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Nothing to be ashamed of in that photo Crosscut.

The Penobscot 14 is a fine little boat. I prefer the sloop rig over the other options, but I'm not sure I like the batten lap method, though I can see how a novice lap builder could benefit from it.

[​IMG]

There are lots of designs in this size (thousands). Take your time, look at lots of designs and if you do half as nice a job on your second as your little skiff, it'll be something anyone would be proud to own.

11. Lt. Holden

Lt. Holden Senior Member

Crosscut, no apologies are necessary! That is a fine looking boat and the craftmanship and pride you put into it shine. Great job and good luck with your next build.

12. crosscut

crosscut Junior Member

Thanks for the encouragement. I think I might skip the Nutshell and move on to the Penobscot. I will order the study plans and video to see if I can follow everything.

13. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I posted an unfinished Penobscot picture above. It will be a more challenging build then your skiff, but a rewarding result I'm sure.