Roseburg Plywood from Manards

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by milezone, Jun 18, 2014.

1. UNCIVILIZED

UNCIVILIZED DIY Junkyard MadScientist

Hi milezone,
    I don't suppose you tried the boil & bake test on this plywood? I only ask, as I'm always curious about new sources for materials (well, that & information). Also, I gather that the price was reasonable?

On the fiberglassing thing, don't sweat it. If you can paper macheie, then you've got the basics down ;-) Seriously, it's not all that difficult. And as to sanding, between; peel ply, platen molding, & flow coating, a lot of the bits which "require" sanding, actually don't. And pre-coating your panels prior to cutting them out & building a boat out of them is one of those genius, KISS, steps/ideas.

Spend some time on the WEST System website(s), in addition to downloading their book (and I'd suggest getting a hard copy too). And System Three Epoxies has some good info as well. Start with the latter companies' "Epoxy Book", & the various $5 How-To guides from WEST System.
    Also, on WEST System's main website, they have a plethora of articles/how-to's of projects which folks have done. Ditto on their 2ndary site, www.EpoxyWorks.com

And while I haven't gotten a copy for myself yet, I'm guessing & hearing that Russell Brown's book "Epoxy Basics" is a good one as well. Odds are it is, if it's anything like the man. He's www.PTWatercraft.com
    Also, perhaps his instruction/assembly manual for the PT11/Spear would help you. It'd be worth ringing the shop to talk with him.
    Not to overwhelm you with info, but back in my questions about Cold Molding post http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/materials/cold-molded-hull-strength-50859.html#post695290 a bunch of the guys provide heaps of good info on instruction about glassing & construction.. I'd specifically recommend those suggested by Eric Sponberg.

Good luck with the project!
    Andy

2. fishm_n

fishm_n New Member

Uncivilized- I priced it out at $43 for 3/8 $47 for 1/2 and %74 for 3/4.

If you are still interested in there prices of wood.

3. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Add shipping to any of the cheaper options and it comes out the same or close enough not to bother.

4. mapode168

mapode168 Junior Member

Has anyone tried 3M 5200 on this type of construction?