Restoring 32 and 36 foot ChrisCraft plywood plank boats

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by boatnut007, Oct 13, 2003.

1. boatnut007

boatnut007 New Member

I am beginning to restore two ChrisCraft plywood plank Hull boats, 36 foot and 32 foot. I am new at this and welcome any professional advice regarding finishing the hull above and below water line, repairing wood beams that are rotten, how to finish new marine grade plywood decks, where to find materials and equipment etc.

Attached Files:

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The planks are bolted together between frames. There are square nuts with corners that dig into the wood and lock in the inside. The screws have Frearson heads. Philips screwdrivers will strip them. The planks are caulked/glued with lifecaulk. It is quite difficult to take them out. I use a flat bar to pry them and a razor knife to cut the caulk. Try to keep the rotted planks as patterns, it'll save you lots of time. Frames are steam bent oak. Deck beams should be philipino mahogany (lauan). They can be laminated on a jig.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Your boat appears to be a Chris Craft Sea Skiff. For most of your maintaince needs, any good marine dealer with a large inventory will have most of what you need in stock. If not, they can order anything you need and have it within a couple of days. As for lumber, plywood, etc., you will have to do some investigating. Marine grade wood is a little harder to get a hold of.

5. oddball

oddball Junior Member

boatnut plz tell me how you get on, I am looking a t a 57 ft CC connie right now that looks to have a few back planks, if you could post the cost of the wood and time it tokk to replace them I would be grateful.

p.s did you build that shed I see the boat in?..it looks like framing with a tarp roof.

6. Dave W.

Dave W. Guest

none

boatnut007, Talk to the Rot Doctor,they have it all.www.rotdoctor.com

7. 32' new guy

32' new guy Junior Member

I myself am having some planking problems with my 32' Chris Sedan, found in field with minor dry rot, previous owner cut hole in side for a tube slide for his kids AHHH! It's not ply but please forward any info on Spieling planks

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If you have an old plank use it as a pattern. You can also take the pattern from the opposite side.