Resto Project - 19' day sailer

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Chapman, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Chapman

Chapman Junior Member

I haven't posted here in quite a while, but I recently got this 19' day sailer from a co-worker for free and decided I'd put some time into her. The registration lists her as a 1947. The guy I got her from was told by someone years ago that she was a class boat, possibly called a Chesapeake Bay Knockabout. She's been out of water and under cover for 24 years. I love her lines and plan to take from now to next summer to get her ready to sail. The hull is glass over wood with brass hardware and wood spars. The hull appears to be generally sound, but two ribs need to be sistered. The glass on the deck is in bad shape and needs to be redone. So far I emptied and cleaned out the interior thoroughly to inspect the framing and planking from the inside. I also removed the rub rail and cockpit coaming to prepare for the work on the deck. This weekend I plan on removing all the glass on the topside and re-glassing it. This was originally done up to but not under the coaming, which part of the reason moisture got between the glass and the wood and separated it. After that I plan to take care of those ribs and probably rebuild the centerboard trunk. Here are a few photos of the condition I received her in. I welcome your thoughts, ideas, and comments. I'll post more photos as I progress.

Attached Files: