Renovation vs. Restoration

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Magellansoul, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Magellansoul

Magellansoul New Member

Watching a boat just waste away.

Looking for books or articles that assist in getting a wooden boat back sailing versus restoring a boat.

I know that the ultimate way is to restore but if the boat still has life but doesn't justify a full restoration ( or I don't have the financial resources :( ) then what?

I am not in a position to take the boat down to the ribs but ready to do what I can. Otherwise the boat will , I am sure just keep drying out or worse.

Robert.
    :(

2. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

If all of us responded to your agony of watching her slip away. This would be the most overloaded thread. We all have longed to save at least 1 boat. The first loss is the most painfull. If possible, look for another, to keep your hands active.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

If the boat doesn't have the pedigree to restore, then access the needs to get her in sailing condition, weigh this against your budget and make the tough decision. Most old boats don't not stand up to the requirements for restoration. A few can be given a number of years additional service with some repairs, but a very large percentage are usually found well after the boat is too far gone.

Most boats are kept in this condition out of "sentimental reasons" we hear. Personally, I think it's a lack of sentiment that caused her to be in such sad shape. If there were real sentiment for the craft then she would have seen better care and regular use. Letting a boat lie, unwanted, unused or cared for is not something we'd do to a prized item.

Land fills and burn piles are full of the ashes of these "sentimental" loves. We can only hope we are loved a touch more then the craft we say we do.

What are her ills, Magellansoul?

4. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

Magellan,

It's a tricky question, and ultimately, you're the only one who can answer it.

That said, I've seen many restorations that have exceeded the cost of building a new boat to begin with, and frequently, the result hasn't been as good as a new boat either. It is much too easy to get mired in an impossible situation once you're too deep in it to think rationally. (yes, I do have first-hand experience of this) The scariest ones are big wooden boats, I've seen a couple of them financially tap out several owners in succession before the job was done, hardly a good thing, unless you're the last in line.

Sentimentality aside, recognize that a wooden boat is just a temporary stage between dirt and dirt.

Yoke.

5. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

I'm very surprised that nobody's ripped a new hole in my hind quarters yet.

yoke.

6. Magellansoul

Magellansoul New Member

No boring from me.

Your comments are logical. So many boats will not realise the investment they require and I am sure this one is no differernt. There are lots of H28 out there which fetch a wide variety of prices(if money is the measure).

I am looking at this and asking how to tighten her up (see previous post) get her back in the water and do what I can with minimum financial investment.

But your point is well taken.

Thanks,
    Bob.

7. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

Magellan,

Not to put a much too serious twist on it, (And yet again, I have way too much experience in this case) but, it's a bit like dating a ****.

Yoke.

8. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

At least dating a **** you know what you've got and she's damn good at a few of the really important things.

The choice of hull material doesn't have much to do with a craft's restoration potential. They all can suck (another reason to date a ****)

We're all just a brief vacation from being dirt again.