PeeroSail build

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by lewisboats, Apr 17, 2012.

1. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

I mentioned I was going to build a sailing canoe/pirogue/thingy in my EiderDuck build...well here we are 3D about 6 hours (not including glue drying time) into it. Sides are 15.5" 16 ft panels, bottom is 30.5" across not including the external chines or 3"/side chine runners that will run 4 feet long in the middle.

[​IMG]

It's hard to tell by this picture but the bottom is double ended and pretty much symmetrical...ish. Because of the width of the transom top it warps the ply a bit and increases the rocker aft by a 1/2" or so. I am still undecided if I want to put the frame on the butt blocks and gain an additional 1/2" beam in the middle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh...and RWatson...the straightened ply is going on this...39"(+/-) wide x 8 ft trimmed to fit right in the center, with an offcut on each end butted in place.

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Watching gleefully. D

3. lewisboats

Nothing picture worthy...repaired my too short chine log by cutting a few feet off and scarfing 6 more back on...plenty of extra now. I also cut and planed the scarfs on the gunnel pieces. I started Planing my LakeScow's mast into an octagon...mostly. The step and partner are square so I left them like that and started the octagonal facets about 10" above the partner. I hope I can pare off a couple of pounds. I am also going to shorten the spar and boom and facet them too...or even round them off. That should knock off another 3 or 4 lbs, especially off the spar as it is about 15" too long right now. Hopefully that will help me stay with the correct side of the boat skyward a little better.

4. lewisboats

Hi-Ho Hi-Ho and away we go... Got everything...(including myself) all slathered in glue and clamped and screwed together. Now we wait for the cure and then I have to make the interior fixins' for the mast and a couple of other frames and then the bottom goes on. And yes.... I have a few clamps. Oh...I did move the frame onto the butt blocks...got an extra 1/2" of beam from it. The way it is looking...I'll have it at 40-41" across the chine runners...with the runners being around 3 1/2" wide and 4 feet long. I'll have them going as a smooth curve to max beam...tapering into the chines at the ends.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. lewisboats

Yeehaa! Opened the door to get the mail and found my sail between the doors. $109 plus shipping for the lot... 3.5 oz sail, battens, telltales, bag and tie. Now I can get started on the rigging.

[​IMG]

6. lewisboats

Planed the chines today...what a joy! Seriously! I kept at it even though it was "good enough" until they were dead flat and level...just because I was having fun with my planes. I used a #4 to knock things close, my Jointer to get things nice and level and the block to tidy things to a nice smoothness. I rounded the chines over with my DeWalt cordless grinder though...quick and dirty but efficient. Everything is nice and level now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. lewisboats

Then I started installing the cross pieces. I put one 24" from each end...and I made them larger than the available space...I wanted to spread the chines out on each end to increase the volume at the ends a bit. How I did this was to mark where I wanted the cross piece at then measure 2" further inwards. I used this point to measure and mark the cross pieces. This made them longer so when I moved them back into the correct place I had to spread the chines apart to get it in thus widening the end a bit. I also put one at 60" from the transom bottom and I put the base for the mast step (a 1x3) centered at 60" from the bottom of the stem. I made sure I did the 24"ers first then the 60"ers... it would be just like me to do it backwards. All in all I am pleased the way this is going together...I wish I hadn't had to stay and extra hour and a half at work this morning...I could have gotten more done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. lewisboats

I burned through the last of my regular PL Premium and now I am trying out some new stuff...PL Premium Advanced.
    Thick and sticky. It is supposed to hold stuff in position better and cure quicker. I'll tell you... if it is coming out of the end... it will continue to come out for a while...regardless if you pop the ratchet or not. Best to have a bit of scrap ready to catch the excess coming out of the tube so you can use it on your assembly and don't glue all the way with the gun...use the excess to finish it off.

ETA...: forgot a pic...I ran a plumb line to help in locating the mast later on. It is marked on the inside of each side. I think I'll run a couple more so I can locate cleats and things...I can always erase them.

[​IMG]

9. lewisboats

Cut, fitted and dry attached the bottom this morning. First I cut a template for the chine runner by tracing the curve of the bottom onto a 4' long piece of scrap ply. Then I sprang a batten around the shape I wanted the runner to be...I made it a bit fatter forward as I wanted the CLR a bit forward for a reason I'll let you know about later. I then cut the template out and set it aside. Next I trimmed the middle section of ply to nearly the correct width and centered it on the boat and traced the chine outline onto it.

[​IMG]

I then marked all the intersections so I could precisely locate it again.

[​IMG]

Then I laid it on my cutting foam.

[​IMG]

And Used the template to mark the chine runners.

[​IMG]

Like so:
    [​IMG]

10. lewisboats

Then I cut everything out...without screwing anything up...for now.

[​IMG]

and laid it in position and tacked it down with some screws.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I used some leftover ply from cutting the 4th piece for the side panels and measured what I needed for the ends. 38"x24" for the front and 42"x 24" for the back. Cut them out, butted them up and screwed some locating screws in then marked the chine shape and cut it out.

The result:

[​IMG]

11. lewisboats

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Things look pretty dead on in this pic...I doubt its out by more than 1/16th anywhere but it is still a bit rickety without the bottom firmly glued and screwed.

[​IMG]

and a couple of better shots of the interior:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately...Just as I was taking the last picture it started to rain a bit. In a mad dash to get things into the garage I put a small divot in the edge of one of the chine runners banging it against the trailer you might see in one of the previous pics. I couldn't get a good grip on it because it doesn't have any inner or outer wales to grab onto and my dry hands kept on slipping on the plywood. I was planning on glassing them so fixing it won't be much more of a problem but I often wonder why I was blessed with TWO little imps on my shoulders working against me instead of just one like most folks.

12. lewisboats

Bought the wood for the mast, boom and sprit today and as the weather for the next few days will be cold, wet and crappy...I'll be working on those. I have to taper the mast and sprit and make some jaws for the boom and slap some kind of coating on them.

13. lewisboats

Finally...Sun! Put about 6 hours work in between the two builds today. I got the bottom glued and screwed on the PS, plus got the butt blocks on and the out wales glued and screwed on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Attached Files:

15. lewisboats

Si... Seeing as the boat (Duck Puntish in the extreme...really just a modified one) doesn't have any kind of foil but uses the chine when heeled for lateral resistance I am experimenting with the addition of chine runners. It is actually one of the main reasons I am building the boat. The fact that it will be perfect for sailing that little lake which is a dammed creek so I can paddle up the channel too is the other main reason. It will likely live on my roof rack so I can use it at a moment's notice. I'm going to paint it to closely match the Blazer (deep red and silver trim) just 'cause I can. Son's coming over today to help out...time is getting short if I want to take them with me on vacation end of this month.

ETA: Re-reading that thread... Well I guess the opinions there are as most opinions should be taken: "Everybody's got one and..."! I figure if Dylan and those other Brits can sail the damn thing with only the corner of the boat in the water...adding a bit of a skeg to that corner isn't going to do any harm and might just help it gain a few degrees to windward. We'll see...