PeeroSail build

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by lewisboats, Apr 17, 2012.

1. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Got #1 son to come over today and help a bit. I handed him the block plane and pointed him at the mast...took a little while but he got the hang of it. We tapered the mast and pared down the boom end for the jaws. I also cut the scarf tapers for the sprit...I am using some 7/8" Poplar dowel but it only came in 4' lengths so I have to scarf 2 together. I also caulked and did a bit more painting on the Eider Duck...nothing really worthy of pictures.

2. lewisboats

Woops...came across a picture labeled "Peero"... just remembered Bolger did one like that... Time to find a new name I guess.

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

As long as it isn't "Pyro" ... :D

4. lewisboats

Oo-De-Lali or Lancet?

5. lewisboats

Nothing like drinking Pina Coladas and working on your boat. Hauled her out after taking the dogs on a lake walk and got the inwales made and installed today and did some cleaning up of the chines. I am beveling them so I can fillet the little bit that is left and head off any rot before it thinks about moving in.

Here is the squeeze out from putting the butt blocks inside.
    [​IMG]

Here we are removing the excess frame and the upper part of the butt block on the side...I don't think it will be needed after the gunnel is installed.

[​IMG]

Here is a view of the fit at the bow...not too shabby...

[​IMG]

And the transom fit...a little gap there...
    [​IMG]

Dry fit before gluing...

[​IMG]

6. lewisboats

Con't

Plenty of glue for a good bond...

[​IMG]

And here is the end result going back into the garage because they predict rain tonight...

[​IMG]

Here is what she will look like...I know the end on shots tend to distort the actual shape

[​IMG]

and in case anyone is interested...the glue line for the AurocoPly plywood I am using.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

[pyro-]maniac.

8. lewisboats

Nothing on the name???...Oo-De-Lali it is.

Seeing as the chine runner chipped so easily I decided to thicken it up a bit...x3 to be exact. I glued on a 1/2" tripler to beef it up. Good thing I kept the template huh?

http://www.angelfire.com/ego/lewisboatworks/Stuff/Peerosail/PS-Chinerunner-Doubled2.jpg

http://www.angelfire.com/ego/lewisboatworks/Stuff/Peerosail/PS-Chinerunner-Doubled.jpg

One nice thing is that it stiffened it up torsionally a lot too...it twisted too easily for my tastes. I am going to add a couple of arms to a couple of the bottom cross pieces to stiffen it up even more.

Bought a 1x8" piece of "Mahogany" (guess it's Meranti) and cut a couple of pieces to edge glue together and fit for the transom sort of knee and the breasthook. I also glued the two pieces of 7/8" dowel for the Sprit...hope it works.

9. lewisboats

Spent a lot of time today grinding, sanding and planing but I have the chines filleted now and the Breasthook made and glued on.

Here is the Breasthook (it is sort of a reverse of the transom)

[​IMG]

and a couple of the filleted chines. All the edges have been rounded over where possible and the fillets cove out the corners pretty good. While the color looks like that new PL Premium Advanced...it is epoxy with Talc and Cabosil (fumed silica). I misplaced my bag of wood flour and I am not interested in waiting to get more shipped. The reason it is so shiny is that I went over it with a smoothing coat of raw epoxy...saves tremendously in the sanding department. I am looking to put paint on in 10 days or less...only 3 1/2 weeks until Vacation and I am hoping to splash both before or at the Pepin Messabout 1st weekend of June.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did find that the transom is about 3/16" off perpendicular to the centerline...don't rightly know how that happened but it is far too late now to do anything about it. Oh...and the Sprit came out cockeyed so I'm looking at making another or tapering down a piece of closet rod...I think I might take option 2...it is quicker.

10. lewisboats

Taped one side today...I am not liking how this is heading. The temps aren't what I would like and the tape is rather heavy...so it isn't laying on the wood after making the curves and bends worth a damn. I may have some major grinding to do. I plan on pressing it into the wood every hour or so until it sticks or the epoxy gets beyond that point. The next few hours will tell.

11. lewisboats

Well...it didn't turn out anywhere near as bad as I expected. I did like I said and went out and caught it right when it was it's stickiest...and pressed everything tight. It pretty much stayed. I don't have time to turn it over right now but I can't see any major air bubbles or dry spots and it is past the point of no return...almost a green cure actually, just the slightest bit tacky. I'll see tomorrow if I missed anything.

12. lewisboats

Did some work yesterday and today...got the second side done and ground off the boogers and unstuck cloth on the chines. This was mostly on the fillet by the side panel. The important part...the actual edge and exposed plywood grain is well bonded except for a couple of pencil eraser sized spots...not a problem. I still have a couple of screw depressions to fill and then it is a coat of epoxy on the outside. I put a bead of PL on the joint on the underside of the outer gunnel. The boat is going to live upside down and that would be a rot spot if I didn't cove it out so water couldn't collect. I filleted the bead and it will be coated with epoxy for additional protection. I did some additional miscellaneous sanding and planing on the gunnels and breasthook. I still have to make and install the after deck/knee, additional pieces for the pegs along the inner gunnel, the mast partner and step. Paint is still in the cards right now but it will be a option that can be discarded if I don't have time. It will mostly depend on the other build. Only 2+ weeks left.

13. lewisboats

got 2/3 of the outside epoxied...the other side has some boogers I want to get off before I coat it. I'll give it a light/medium sanding and then flip and get to work on the inside. I should be done with the building in only a few more days work...provided my daughter comes over to help on hers. She works overnights too so that helps...she comes over after work and is in the same shape I am. We manage to egg each other along.

[​IMG]

14. lewisboats

Yesterday I sanded the whole thing and gave the uncoated side a coat of epoxy. Today I worked on the Eider Duck so nothing new.

15. lewisboats

Today got the second side sanded so everything is the same again. I spent the majority of the time that was spent on this build today on the boom. Here is the boom

[​IMG]

Here are the Jaws...I made the jaws out of kiln dried Hickory...Damn that stuff is HARD! Should I glue and bolt or just bolt?

[​IMG]

The boom and mast are DF Stair rail and the sprit is.... don't know yet.