Opinion on this wood

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Kraftwerk, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Kraftwerk

Kraftwerk walking the plank

Hello,
    Rather new to this...
    I am looking at a particular sailboat made of pitch pine over oak frames.
    What is your opinion of this particular wood?
    The vessel is about 50 yrs old. Restoration is 80% complete. Needs hardware,
    rigging and cuddy cabin.

What are the weight differences in general between a wood boat and f/g
    of the same size/type.
    What are the advantages of wood (compared with f/g) other than it is compleatly georgous/ breathtaking?
    Thank you,
    jt

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Pitch pine over oak, 50 years old, 80% complete isn't nearly enough information to provide you with anything specific.

Pitch pine is on the heavy side, though quite durable. The framing material, I'll assume is white oak and is typically seen. Needs a cuddy (furnishings too?) which can be intricate work, needs hardware, rigging (sails too?) which can be a large percentage of the cost in the total build.

Comparisons are imposable without dimensions, but generally wooden boats can be lighter in smaller sizes (not always), in larger sizes (over 30') it has difficulty keeping it's weight competitive with well built 'glass yachts. Both materials, like all building materials have good points and bad. Both materials can be built very light or very heavy and everything in-between. Much depends on the designer and the design's intent.

3. Kraftwerk

Thanks Par. It has a mast and sails. It is a 30' racing Dragon so there are no furnishings to speak of. I will see it soon in person, hopefully.

4. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

»It is a 30' racing Dragon«

Nice one, mate!

5. Kraftwerk

Yes it is nice.
    Such great lines. It is almost as if you can hear the pencil against paper and smell the pink eraser. When I look at todays boats (or cars) I just hear the mouse-click, their chilly profiles leave me cold.

There are so many 'sane' options out there: F/G boats with all their rigging and sails in tip top shape, less money. I am crazy or what? This one needs work. I haven't met it in person yet though.
    I might just go with the modern version: Hello Plastic! ('Modern' here meaning the 1970's or even a trusty J-27 from the 80's) I hafta think about this one, seems like a big step.

6. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

I think you're perfectly sane.

7. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Last edited: Jan 29, 2007
  8. Kraftwerk

Prince = Unlimited funds

Well wouldn't you have the same boat?

9. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

True, but as inspiration as to how great a mahogony dragon can look in race outfit I think it is great. He does race that thing.

10. Kraftwerk

Super looking boat. The hull is f/g or glass coated wood ?

11. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

This is from the CM Grand Prix and the CM Racing:

»Method of building
    The hull is built "cold moulded", veneers placed on a master plug, under vacuum pressure at high temperatures and glued together with epoxy glue (specially developed for Borresen). This method of building gives you the stiffest hull possible within the international Dragon rules. At the same time we have been able to optimise the weight distribution in the boat. The hull is long boarded and faired for the highest finish possible and painted with a 2 component high gloss paint.
    The deck is also made in wood with mahogany cabin top, covering board and cockpit coaming, plywood deck, inside-outside all paint in one colour. This gives a very light and stiff deck. Boats with wooden deck have always appeared to be fast because of a better stiffening compared to boats with fibre glass decks. The cockpit floor has been raised in two levels for better working positions. The cabin top has been designed in a new more aerodynamic shape.«

I believe that the deluxe is through-and-through mahogany.

However, none of the three are GRP.

As far as I know, it's Denship that makes the GRP-ones.