more information on boatbuilding needed

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by cappelleh, Feb 19, 2006.

1. cappelleh

cappelleh New Member

Hello everyone

I have plans to build an 8m yacht in plywood. I have no experience at all with boatbuilding but I'm quite handy and I transformed a lot of wood before. Also I will start with a smaller open sailboot to get familiar with it.

I have som questions, mostly about connection smaller pieces of wood and finishing. If anyone knows a good book or website about this please let me know.

My first question is how to connect smaller pieces of wood without loosing its strength. The Kavalier 800 I'm planning to build needs pinewood sticks (can't find the english word for "big sticks") of 800cm. As far as I know I can only get 400cm length. Thus I would need to connect 2 pieces of 400cm. How could I do this?

Also the frames made of plywood are to big to get out of one piece. The pieces I can get are aprox. 122x244cm. These parts (as well as the pinewood parts above) are very important for the strength of the construction so the connection should be very solid.

Then about getting it all together. Is it a good idea to screw te pieces together with some glue? At the end the gaps will need to be filled with epoxy, right?

And finishing. Before getting al te parts together I think the wood should be entirely prepared to be water resistant. Then when assembled the outside needs to get a very waterproof finishing. What is used for this? Is it a kind of paint or more like epoxy? Any brands so I can look it up on the internet?

thanks for any answers

2. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

3. CapKos

CapKos Junior Member

This is an excellent suggestion. Look also at:
    http://www.glen-l.com/

However the architect should specify the method of building and generally will be happy to give you any important information.

CapKos

4. boatbuilder.org

boatbuilder.org Junior Member

Visit my website at www.boatbuilder.org. There is information there on stitch and glue construction that may be usefull to you.
    ---Joel---

5. Howgegoboat

Howgegoboat Junior Member

Scafing,

Scafing is what you are thinking of, beveling stringers and panels to glue them together, 1/8 ratio minimum, epoxy or PU glue.
    Butt straps, can be used but not so good on high performance boat as you plan to build.
    Seems like a very complex design perhaps try something simpler first,
    Yours James

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.