Mirror 16 foot Sailing Dinghy

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by goolawah, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Ozducati

Ozducati Mirror 16 #189

G'day Brett,
    I will probably take you up on that when I get a but further down the track. We have started a Yahoo Group for Mirror 16 owners if you are interested. If you turn on your option to receive a Message through this website I will send you some details.

2. brettbuckley

brettbuckley New Member

Messaging option turned on

3. Ozducati

Ozducati Mirror 16 #189

G'day Brett,
    Can you message me a contact number.... I'd like to take a couple of measurements from your hull if that's ok.

4. sailohio

sailohio Junior Member

interested in building mirror 16

I am interested in building a mirror 16. My father built one in 1970. Would really appreciate connecting on the Cad drawings. Many Thanks Don

5. Bonay457

Bonay457 Mirror 16 #457

Sailohio,

Are you in NE Ohio by chance? Mine was built in the Cleveland area in 1972 and raced through the 80's with the fleet up there. I'm wondering if we raced against your father if he was up there.

6. sailohio

sailohio Junior Member

Thanks for the note. There were five M16's built in Cleveland, Ohio in 1969-1970. My father, Bob Schilling built #366. I recently connected with the current owner of #365 which is still in the Cleveland area. Am still on the lookout for #366.

7. Bonay457

Bonay457 Mirror 16 #457

#457 was built by my grandfather, Chuck Wright and he and my grandmother raced it on the 70's. I'm in need of the CAD as well as I have some rot to deal with on the deck and the rails.

I've also got some original Mirror literature that I need to scan and post.

8. sailohio

sailohio Junior Member

Brett,

I am very interested in building a new mirror 16. My father built M16 #366 when I was younger. By any chance do you have a connection to the cad/cam files? If so, i would love to explore the opportunity to build a new boat. Thanks Don Lakewood Ohio

9. sailohio

sailohio Junior Member

I am very focused on building a Mirror 16 from scratch and have started compiling the necessary hardware, standing rigging and running rigging.

The lists are based on old documents and my limited observations. I would really appreciate any thoughts and suggestions the group may have to refine the list.

Thanks
    Don Schilling

Attached Files:

10. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

Nice work on that list and sketches. Personally I'd use the list of parts as a (very) loose guide as to what you need. Change a lot of the fittings to newer, stronger and better quality ones. For example - the rudder fittings should be changed to the Seasure ones, the kicker arrangement is tosh, the center jammer (which needs more support) should be a modern Harken or Allen one etc etc. Especially the rudder hold down which should be a S/S on with nylon tip NOT a nylon one which is prone to breaking.

As for the construction details, put hatches where you canget your hand in with a spnge to drain any tank properly. A 4" hatch gives pretty small access, a 6" absolutely loads - the Allen hatches are the best IMHO, for various reasons.
    The tank side supports - lateral semi bulkheads should be cut away more from the hull outer locally and have a limber hole along the inner tank side so water can fully drain to the stern.

Not sure what Jack did with the centre board case construction, but I'd base it more on dropping the case through the hog. This can be controlled by end cappings (sealing ply into the bargain) until the right level is found ie trim back lightly. This will allow correct level for the internal double floor. If you do this dry a few times you should get a good feel for how best to do it.

A typical Holt king plank is wrong way round for strength, so alter this as you should anticipate greaer rig tension to hold a straighter jib luff. Also check the bracing to the shroud points is sufficient. As a reference do NOT copy the Enterprise arrangement which is tosh, but look what things like Nat 12s, Merlins etc use. Give the shroud plates more support.

The centre jammer block area needs glue and screws, not just glue, including the blocks onto the case top first. Why? they break when gybing in a 6...;) Also the actual fitting needs to be bolted not screwed, why, they tear out..;)

As long as you rethink some of the construction details you will get a good boat. Aim to cap as much ply as possible too to help keep water ingress out. If you laminate parts (like stringers) you will also get minimal stress and find the build holds shape properly.

I'm quite fond of the 16, it is a good boat. Did anyone refine the lines a bit to a more modern tweak of it for your CAD plans?.

11. sailohio

sailohio Junior Member

------------

Thanks for reviewing the hardware list and providing some suggestions.

I did look into the Sea Sure rudder fittings and they look very solid.

I will work your considerations into the next version of the document.

Cheers
    Don

12. sailohio

sailohio Junior Member

Mirror 16 building instructions (scanned copy attached)

Many thanks to Paul L. from Belwood Ontario who let me borrow his original Mirror 16 building instructions. I have made a scanned copy of all 60 pages which is attached. I will be taking additional photos of selected diagrams and produce an enhanced version in the future. I hope you find this helpful. Again thank you Paul!

Attached Files:

13. sailohio

sailohio Junior Member

I am very interested in building a mirror 16 and would appreciate any insight or help with templates or cad files. I have gathered original building instructions and populated them on the web and created a modern 2016 hardware listing also shared on the web. Many thanks for your consideration. Don

14. sailohio

sailohio Junior Member

Mirror 16 #435 - just took delivery - ready to sail

So excited - we just took delivery today of Mirror 16 #435 built in Cleveland in 1971. Just needs a good clean up and some new lines and should be ready for a sail by the end of August. mirror 16 number 435.jpg

15. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

Nice to see her, good luck and sailing.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.