Mirror 16 foot Sailing Dinghy

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by goolawah, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Ozducati

Ozducati Mirror 16 #189

G'day Thud,
    I have a copy of the Mirror 16 Assembly Manual that came with each kit, but it does not mention the component size. There are a couple of Mirrors here in Brisbane but its a 90 minute round trip. I was hoping someone could just throw a tape across one and let me know the result.

2. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

"...it shall be 30 Cubits long and 80 Cubits wide!"

Sorry, I was hoping! Since it was such a popular design.
    Maybe you could borrow some Measurements from somebody else's design.

3. Ozducati

Ozducati Mirror 16 #189

Progress photos

I finished removing the side tanks and have started pulling up the floor. The remaining floor around the edges is the original floor panel.... someone had previously nailed down a sheet of ply over the old rotten floor.

Attached Files:

4. Chuckles 336

Chuckles 336 New Member

Hi Oz

I have just measured mine its 101x224x23mm, hope this helps

5. Ozducati

Ozducati Mirror 16 #189

Thanks Chuckles :D

What sail number is your Mirror 16?

6. Chuckles 336

Chuckles 336 New Member

Its 336 and is called chuckles

7. Ozducati

Ozducati Mirror 16 #189

Mirror 16 register

Hi Steven,
    There is a bloke over your way called Barrie Skelcher who used to race a Mirror 16 back in the 70's.
    He is collating an informal register of known existing Mirror 16 hulls and so far he has about 40 on the list. I am sure he would appreciate it if you would contact him with your boats details.
    You can get him at skelch@sumplace.abelgratis.com

Do you have any photos of your Mirror that you could post up here?

8. Chuckles 336

Chuckles 336 New Member

Rod

Although in my possession i don't actually own the boat at the moment, i'm just considering the pros and cons, and found this forum which has proved very informative. Generally looks in pretty good condition, i've attached a couple of photos from under the deck no damp or rot but the usual ribs have broken No 4 starboard and No 3 & 4 Port, reading previous posts sounds like trailer damage, would it be sensible to repair these before taking the boat out for a trial or should it be ok?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Other than that its in very good condition no rot and only a few section of varnish have come away around the transom, all superficial.
    A minor repair to the bow appears to have been carried out quite successfully
    [​IMG]

I will post some photos of the overall boat soon i'm hoping to try and rig everything this weekend to figure out if i have all the relevant bits and bobs in the boxes i've been given, does anyone have any overall photos of a standard rig for the mirror 16?

I will contact Barrie, if and most probably when i become the new owner
    ________
    Steven

Attached Files:

9. Ozducati

Ozducati Mirror 16 #189

Rig photos

Hi Steven,
    There are some reasonably detailed photos of a rigged Mirror 16 on the top of page 13 of this thread.

I reckon you could safely sail your boat with the three broken ribs if you dont sail in too much chop. You could also lay a large piece of ply on the floor centred over the area where the broken ribs are. This should help to distribute your weight over the remaining good ribs, or just keep off the damaged area.

10. Ozducati

Ozducati Mirror 16 #189

Progress

first photo: The floor templates are completed and the remaining floor panels and the foredeck framing have been removed.

second photo: starting to fabricate the hull panel templates.

Attached Files:

11. spenceroz

spenceroz New Member

Ozducati

I have just come across this discussion in my search for a boat bigger than the Heron I have just restored.

Brilliant idea to get the Mirror16 up and running again.
    Original boats were all by kit form in UK from Bell constructions along with the Mirror. Problem was that 16 was not popular and not taken up after Bell folded.
    Pity really it was a lovely boat.
    I applaud your dedication.

I was able to import your line model into Rhino and create 3d meshes from your chines (Port side only at this stage). Why? you may ask.
    Rhino has the ability to unfold developable surfaces. ie. take the curved surfaces and flatten them into templates for cutting.

I have included a dxf of the result. your original model with the port side panel and hull panel unrolled from the model. They should match the panels you remove.
    I thought it might help when you create you templates.

I also have found a free software called 'Hulls' for boat design, but it only uses 5 cross-section profiles including transom and bow post and uses inches although some output converts to mm. I will try and put you measurments through it and see what I can get.
    This software can output lofting dimensions
    Software available here free
    http://carlsondesign.com/software/add-ons/shareware/hull-designer

other good software is 'freeship', I am only just starting with so I will see what I can get it to do

I can expand on this work if it is useful.
    Good luck.
    Graham

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  12. Ozducati

Ozducati Mirror 16 #189

G'day Graham,
    Thanks for your post.
    I have a model in freeship based on measurements taken from other peoples hulls, but it is difficult to get accurate measuremenst with limited gear and without partially dismantling their hulls! What you have sent will be very useful.
    I have used the Carlson freeware before. It is good for basic shapes but cannot replicate the conic surface at the bow of the Mirror 16 (at least i cant get it to do it! :confused: ). I did use it about 8 years ago to develop shapes for a 7-1/2' sailboat that I made for my kids using plastic sheet. It worked ok for that.
    Also one thing that my line model does not show is the curve across the lower hull panels, as indicated by the profile of the ribs in the attached image.

Thanks for you input Graham.

Attached Files:

• m16.jpg
      m16.jpg
      File size:
      236.8 KB
      Views:
  13. Hitabuoy

Hitabuoy New Member

Hello all! I am considering buying a Mirror 16. I am going to inspect one that appears to be in excellent condition. Can anyone point out to me the things that I should be looking for? How does one inspect the underfloor buoyancy space? I thought maybe with a mirror at an angle or a flash camera on a stick. What sort of money do they go for in A1 condition?
    Thanks. Mike.

14. Ozducati

Ozducati Mirror 16 #189

Hi Mike,
    I would use a digital camera to check under the floor.
    Have a look at the trailer that has been used with the boat. If it supports the hull on the face of the bottom panels then it could have sustained damage to the ribs. The trailer should support the hull where the side panels meet the bottom panels.
    The other common place I have seen for rot is around the transom.

I'm not sure what they sell for. I have seen them offered for sale at USD2000 and AUD3500.

What is the sail number?

15. Hitabuoy

Hitabuoy New Member

Hi Rod,
    Thanks for your reply. I'll do that and be careful to inspect the hull, ribs and transom. The sail number is 228. It has been dry stored and looks to be in very good condition,but who knows what lurks below! Thanks again for your trouble.

Mike.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.