Mirror 16 foot Sailing Dinghy

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by goolawah, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Ozducati

Ozducati Mirror 16 #189

Mirror 16 For Sale

Ladies & Gents,
    Check out item number 280349505833 on ebay.com.au
    Someone is selling a Mirror 16 and the bidding is up to $105.

2. goolawah

goolawah Junior Member

On 16-17 May Lulubelle took part in the Bribie Island Classic Boat Regatta. The course was the same as on other years (see Google Map). It is always a lovely sail, the weather was great and three Mirror 16s took part. We are hoping that next year we can muster five, which will be something of a record.

Old hands will know that the original Mirror 16 plans included the design for a boom tent, but this designed seemed a bit cramped for two-up. We decided to sleep on board for a couple of nights and came up with our own design using bendy tent poles. See picture attached. It worked really well. We'll definitely be doing that again.

Attached Files:

3. ash4519

ash4519 New Member

Hello.

I have just seen the 522 in fantastic order, someone else has first refusal if they don't have it, its all mine... (have to wait until Sat for this other person to "refuse" it).

This is a photo of the 522.

[​IMG]

I hope they refuse it, I would love to have this!!

4. Pete Dennison

Pete Dennison Pete D

Handy Mirror!

Check out my "lifeboat" - yep it's a Mirror!!:)

Attached Files:

5. goolawah

goolawah Junior Member

Ah yes, but that's just a Mirror 10. Mirror 16s are a different breed, not mere lifeboats! Here's two Mirror 16s taking on Brisbane's MV Mirimar. This shot was taken on our (motoring) camp cruise up the Brisbane River last weekend.

Attached Files:

6. mirrorpete

mirrorpete New Member

Mirror Discussion Forum

The Mirror Discussion Forum is no longer on MSN. There is the new URL

http://mirrordiscussforum.multiply.com/

7. Ozducati

Ozducati Mirror 16 #189

Update on the Mirror 16 plan project

G'day everyone,
    I thought I would post a bit of a situation report as I have not been on the boatdesign.net site for a while. So the update is: not much progress on the model.
    A morbid sense of deja vu descends upon me as the company that I currently work for closes its Brisbane operation leaving me (and the 18 other staff) redundant. Sound familiar?... well that's probably because the same thing happened to me about six months ago!! I am becoming highly skilled at decommissioning plant and shipping it overseas. Could be a growth industry perhaps???
    I should be finishing up around mid to late November and I would like to have a six to eight week break as I have not had a decent break for over two years. Hopefully I can find some time during this period to finish the model, although I do also have some plans to set up a sail and amas on my Hobie Adventure kayak and do some fishing around Moreton Bay.
    I daresay that as I progress with the model I will have questions to ask current M16 owners, so please be forthcoming with info if you can manage it.

Thanks to everyone who has helped me this far.

8. HeatGunner

HeatGunner New Member

Engine Size ?

Hi goolawah and thanks for this thread. Anybody ... I got a mongrel imitation of the Mirror 16 under restoration and wonder what would be the minumum size outboard to safely negotiate adverse wind/tide conditions at the mouth of a big river with 3-4 adults, in my case the Hawkesbury in Sydney.
    Cheers !

9. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

A 9.5 or 10 should make it go 15 Mph or so on flat water.
    So assume the water under the boat is going at 10 Mph, you would be OK by yourself. Four people is going to be about 680 Lbs which is too much for me to compute.
    Maybe a 15 Hp :)

10. Ozducati

Ozducati Mirror 16 #189

Heatgunner,
    Do you have any photos of your boat that you can post?

11. HeatGunner

HeatGunner New Member

What, to show everybody how I put in the centreboard case at a 75% angle :(

Point is, there seem to be some sister designs out there which call themselves Mirror16 on ebay :mad: , one of them a certain 'Seabee'. http://www.clarkcraft.com/cgi-local...=943128221&cart_id=20000119185704207235018007

I'll show my baby when she's more presentable. Major design advantage for restorers: only 5 sets of underfloor ribs !

And thanks to Thudpucker, a real life saver to a novice his advice.

12. ICLYM

ICLYM Junior Member

Work on 263. She missed Guy Fawkes!!

Hi
    I have at last started work on 263. Much to my surprise most of the ply seems in good condition except for aft section of the hull and double bottom which is grim! Inside panels appear to have been well coated before tanks were closed. Frames under the double bottom where I can feel them seem sound.

I am concerned about the plate case. Are there any particular signs of problems with the plate case to look out for?

Ivan

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  13. darius

darius New Member

Mirror 16 Plans Made, and ready to build.

I have two mirror 16's. One of them the ply was too bad and it was a destruction job.
    However, what I did was dismantle every part of the boat to its basic components and measure them. I traced them onto a large roll of lining paper. I photograhed each stage 300+ photos with a measuring tape. I then took every key wooden part- other than the ply- like the ribbed wooden frame from the bow ect and kept them.

I have also kept every part of the iron mongery, the rudder and centre board.

Of course there is the orignal single piece mast, boom and roller reef. Not to mention the sails ect.

This was a fully sea worthy sailed boat before she was stripped back. All she needs is the ply sheets recut and a few bits of solid mahogany edgings to put her back together again and make her perfect. In effect it is the closest anyone is going to get to a pre made kit for a fully functional mirror 16, short of ripping apart and existing one that is seaworthy.

BTW, the other mirror 16 is for sale too. You could buy them both and use one as the template for the other. She is a beauty.

14. mirror 16

mirror 16 New Member

Mirror 16 Plans

Hi Darius,

I have a 16 #261 and would like to build another one. Only one problem, you are in Scotland and I am in Canada. Is there any way we can figure out a method to copy your patterns and then ship them or even better scan them on a large scanner and then email them and I print them on a plotter using a drafting service.....? And of course what might the price be......As well what might the price be for the rudder and centreboard and all the fittings? Do you have any photos?

thanks

15. menace16

menace16 New Member

New... well used 16

Greetings, I was generously given a garage stored mirror 16 which is now under going a major overhaul in the back yard much to my wife's delight. Pix to come soon. I know the boat was built/title in the late 60's 70's and its sail/hull # 397 match although much blown out to my dissapointment. I plan on sailing it on a small lake here in NE Ohio until I can locate a set of better sails and a spinker to take her out on something bigger.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.