Mirror 16 foot Sailing Dinghy

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by goolawah, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Ozducati

Ozducati Mirror 16 #189

G'day David,

I have done the basic layout and all panel shapes, so I am at the stage where I am ready to build a 1/4 scale model out of 2mm card to check if the panels are a good fit. I probably wont get much of a chance in the next few months as the company I work for is packing up and moving to Rayong Province (maybe you know it?) and I will be looking for a new job!
    I dont think I would be marketing the plans... probably just give a copy to whoever wants it. I'll see how the job hunting goes first ;)
    Anyway, welcome aboard!... it's good to hear that people are interested in the results of what I'm doing.

2. goolawah

goolawah Junior Member

Just to delve into the history a bit. Before I started messing about with the idea of a reverse engineering project we contacted Holts for permisson, which they willingly gave on the basis that is was a 'non-commercial' venture.

If you wanted to sell he plans you might need to negotiate a more complicated agreement with them.

Barrie Skelcher is probably the best one to follow this up if necessary.

3. tsunami2004

tsunami2004 New Member

Goolawah/Ozducati(biker?): Thanks guys sorry about the job Oz.Rayong not too far away....know what its like lost three IT jobs in Melbourne /Cairns..age and expensive employee i guess .that's la vie..gave up.looking and being interviewed by 25 yr old bimbos....the wife left and I set sail from Singapore to Phuket ..never looked back .well not much..
    Look forward to getting access.... to any plans you may develop..lots a time..my Thai wife and I own and and run a 30 odd acre rubber farm here lots of nice hardwood growing here too..gotta get me a saw or two I guess..
    take care guys
    david

4. mirror70283

mirror70283 mirror 16 #261

Hi all,

I just joined and thought you might like to know that 261 is sailing in vancouver canada. Originally built by Bell in britian in 1971, shipped to boston, sailed and then wrecked in a collision with a breakwater. Reapiared, and then stored for many years in a garage, gifted to me if I could figure out haw to get it (I did) and after some further restoration now sails and camps around BC. Interestingly the boat came with all the original documantation including letters to and from Bell during purchase negotiations.

Anyhow, we are looking to build another one and were thinking of embarking on much the same process as has been done with respect to plans. So in trade for checking dimensions of my boat against the plans is it possible to get the plans as they are now? Cad software format is prefered, I can plot them at work (engineering co).

My boat is totally stock original, right down to the heavy green canvas dodger and boom tent.

Still not really sure i like the PT boat look of the curved panel at the bow, I wonder if instead of curving the line up to meet the fordeck the boat would look nicer by having the line carry forward and meet the bow, even if another panel would be required. Just athought.....but then it would not be a mirror!

Anyhow, glad to see the interest.

dan

5. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

goolawah,

RQYS last few weeks had a few mirrors out there, they all seemed to have fun.

6. Ozducati

Ozducati Mirror 16 #189

Progress!

I have started on the model as my darling wife has given her blessing for me to use the dining room table!
    So far I have marked and cut out the hull panels and transom, and am working on the spine and underfloor webs. The card I am using is 2mm thick, whick equates to 8mm at 1:4 scale.... I managed to 'split' the card and peel it back until I had a 1mm thick panel to match the scale thickness of the 4mm ply used on the Mirror (make sense?)

I need a couple of sizes for inwales & gunwales. There is no rush for this info as it will be at least a week until I get to these parts.
    From the info in the assembly manual the gunwales we made from two strips of timber, one layed over the top of the other, to create the gunwale and the rubbing bead... I need the stock sizes (ie cross-sectional sizes) of these two bits of wood.
    The inwales were made in a similar fashion, however the second piece did not run the full length of the inwale. I need these size of these too please.
    In both cases, I do not need any lengths.
    Any volunteers?

In some photos of Mirror16's the gunwale appears to thinner (vertically) from the rear edge of the foredeck to the stem than it is from the rear of the foredeck to the transom. Can someone enlighten me please as to what is going on with this?

7. ICLYM

ICLYM Junior Member

Sizes for Gunwale and Inwale

Hi Rod
    Have measured my boat which I think is original. Gunwale I think was created from Inch*1/2inch stock both for the inner length of spruce and the outer mahogany strip. I think the tapering towards the bow was for aesthetics.

For the Inwale the strip running the length of the boat, started life at 1 5/8th inch * 1/2 inch. The short strip 1 3/8 inch * 1 inch.

I hope this helps

Ivan

8. Ozducati

Ozducati Mirror 16 #189

Thanks for that Ivan,
    I was wrong about the change in section on the gunwales.... angle of the photo and shadows contrived to make it look as though there was a thicker section.

Too hot to think here at the moment (34degC and 70%+ humidity), but i will be getting back to work on the model soon.

9. dream458

dream458 Junior Member

Rod,

FYI I actually do have my Mirror upside down (and fiberglass-less) on my garage floor right now and was planning on doing exactly that (plumb-bob and chalk) for practice as I have another boat that I have to develop a full 3-D model of... I will keep you updated on any progress I make in this regard.

I am just learning how to use Unigraphics, and this is going to turn into a class project for me. Yay for turning it into work I get paid for!

Katrina

10. Ozducati

Ozducati Mirror 16 #189

G'day Everyone!

Last Thursday was a bit emotional... the last fridge went down the production line and we closed our manufacturing operation in Brisbane. The Site Operations Manager walked along with it and shook everyone's hand and thanked them for their contribution. Most of us signed the last fridge. I think it is going to be auctioned for charity.
    Oh well, after 16 years in the one job it's time to move on!
    I have done absolutely nothing on the model for the last 2 months....however my persistant efforts in other avenues have paid off and I have been told to expect a letter-of-offer for a NEW JOB(!) in the mail next week.

Katrina- How are the repairs progressing? Did you get my cad file? Was it usable? I would like to get some photos of the hull if you have any.

Attached Files:

11. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

very very sad

and the lousy part is that the light at the end of the tunnel has not come on at all - i am starting to think that the damn light is not there :(

12. Ozducati

Ozducati Mirror 16 #189

Be wary of the light at the end of the tunnel.... it could be an oncoming train!!

13. goolawah

goolawah Junior Member

I saw the light at the end of the tunnel, and it was the real thing!
    I retired a couple of weeks ago :D

14. cornishpete

cornishpete New Member

Hello all
    whist doing a search for mirror 16's on google i came across this forum. I used to have amirror 16 many years ago in Cornwall and enjoyed may happy hours sailing her. Now I am older and reminising I have been searching for another 16 only to discover that i had quite a rare boat. I dont know what help i can be in regards to helping you all to try and create plans for new 16's to be made but should there be a call for general assistance with this project I would be happy to help. Also has any one though about contacting the relitives of Jack Holt? for in trying to obtain plans for the mosquito class of dinghy my father was able to obtain plans from the designers family. In the meantime i did find this articale that might be of interest to you all http://vads.ac.uk/diad/article.php?title=223&year=1967&article=d.223.29
    Additionally if any UK members here of a 16 that is for sale in any condition i would be very gratefull if they would contact me.

15. goolawah

goolawah Junior Member

Hi Pete.

Yes, we have made contact with the business currently operated by Holts. We were seeking, and obtained permission to reverse engineer a set of plans for non-commercial use. Other than giving that permission, as owners of the copyright, they have no other interest in the Mirror 16 and, unfortunately, no longer have any design information that might have been useful.

I think there's a pretty good chance you could pick up a Mirror 16 in need of re-furbishment. I suggest you contact Barrie Skelcher through his web-site . Barrie has been maintaining a register of known Mirror 16s.

Cheers,

JT

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.