Looking for western red cedar in Northern/Central California?

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by StumpyJohnson, Feb 14, 2009.

1. StumpyJohnson

StumpyJohnson Junior Member

Hello!

Being this is my first post I understand any trepidation such a post would warrant, BUT, here's the deal.

I have access to 657 linear feet of clear heart western red cedar at 4.50 to 5.00 a Lineal Foot. Lengths up to 18 feet. The lumber is bound and stored indoors.

I'm looking for other's possibly interested in splitting the purchase. The owner does not want to piece meal the lumber out, understandably.

I live in the Grass Valley area, and WRC is proving to be elusive lumber. There is simply no supplier I know of closer than 4 hours away with reasonable prices or decent lumber. Much less BOTH.

So if anyone has a need for some WRC please email me. stumpyj*hns*n@gmail.com ( the *'s = o's).

Alternatively, if someone knows of a supplier in my area, please do tell!

Otherwise, thanks!

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Hi, I lived in Grass Valley and Nevada County for 35 years moving to Oregon 18 months ago. I built a few hundred homes and about 18 commercial structures there and stay in touch with my friends and business associates.
    I would go to each of the 4 lumber yards and talk to the managers about buying their existing inventory of WRC. Do not pay by the lineal foot, pay by the board foot because you are buying bulk. $4.00 per board foot or $5.00 is a fair price for all. If you do not know how to convert to board feet then contact me. Good luck, Stan Rasor, General Contractor.
    The price you have been quoted is out of line. Lowe's or Home depot sells it for under $1.00 per lineal foot. Thats 1x4

3. StumpyJohnson

Stan,

$5 for a lineal foot of 2x6 is the same as $5 per board foot. I'm a contractor in the area, and a union carpenter.

Sure I could go to lowe's and get a 6 foot rough sawn dog eared fence plank for 6 bucks. But this is Western Red Cedar. Not red cedar (aromatic cedar), big difference. Plus, I want Boat Lumber, not Whale Bones.

Furthermore, this is s4s. Clear, Heartwood. No knots. Vertical grain and slash grain in length's up to 18'. There's a HUGE difference, Stan. I've been to Caseywood, Auburn Hardwood's, Hill's Flat, etc etc...

Trust me when I say I've researched this extensively, and this is a good price. Channel Lumber, arguably one of california's best lumber yards, sells this product in a roughsawn form for $6.50 Bd. Ft.

If you go to Noah's marine or CLC, they sell Beaded and Coved Strips for $.50 to $.55 per lineal foot, for canoe's and Kayaks. A bundle of 55 in length's 16-17' is like $465. That doesn't include shipping.

So no Lowe's lumber won't do, no way no how. And the lumber yards here carry 1x for siding, fence material, etc. And often its aromatic. Hell I have access to a mill and cedar trees up the wazoo...but wrong cedar.

EDIT: I just noticed I did not mention that this is 2x material...that affect's things quite a bit...sorry for not adding an important detail

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  4. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

I just priced out clear vertical grain Doug Fir and CVG red cedar 1x3s and 1x4s
    at Lowes in Salem, Oregon on Tuesday and those prices are what I posted. I can buy CVG DF KD in 2x4s for $3.00 BF and 2x6s for $3.70 BF. If you pay $4.50 to $5.50 a lineal foot for CVG red Cedar in 1x stock you better learn more about the lumber business. Wholesale D F framing lumber now sells for $206.00 a thousand BF. All my products sold quick because 50% of my time went to controlling costs. Say Hi to Dana for me at Casseywood and Kennon, Jeff and the youngest brother at Hills Flat. Best of luck to you, Stan

I see you have made an EDIT that it is 2 x stock. I hope you are not planning on using CVG red cedar for the structural members on a boat. It is way to weak for that and should only be used as a veneer in 1/4" stock over marine plywood.
    I'm just trying to save you $$$$$

5. StumpyJohnson

This is 2x stock, something I did leave out in my original post, I apologize.

Still, Apples and Oranges.

Do you build alot of boat with lumber from Lowe's?

6. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

No, boat building was my hobby. I built my first mahogony run about in 1958/9 and have built many more since. However Clear Vertical Grain KD Doug Fir or Red Cedar is all the same if you look it over carefully. It does not matter where you buy it if you really know what your buying. I never changed a lumber supplier or subcontractor in 40 years for a small amount and that is why I am still friends with them. $ 4.00 to $5.00 a BF or LF of 2x6 is fair for all parties which is what I said in my original post. Where are you buying it?

7. StumpyJohnson

I'm not buying any of it unless I can find interested parties. Its a private party who has it stored at the tahoe truckee lumber. I'm looking for interest from local boat builders, and/or door shops.

8. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Can't help you there as It grows all around me and I have 5 lumber mills within 10 miles of my home. Grass Valley is a wonderful place. I fell in love with it in 1970 and moved there in 1972. All my children--3-- graduated from High school there and then scattered to the winds as there was no work for them. I love Nevada County and especially Grass Valley but to expensive for me to retire there. If you need some names of quality subs I will be happy to provide you with names and numbers. Good luck in your boat building and general contracting, Stan

9. StumpyJohnson

Thanks for you well wishes and wonderful reception to the forum;)