Kråköcabin Magohony Cruiser OMC 120 B

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by kalevala, Jul 28, 2006.

1. kalevala

kalevala New Member

Hi all, I have been reading the posts on this site the last couple of days, Today I decided to join. The wife and I recently purchaced a 1974 Kråköcabin Magohony Cruiser (7.5 meters) for restoration. The boat has been out of the water for about 4 years as far as I can tell. I have done a thorough inspection of the hull and it appears to be very sound. I have found some small areas of dry rot on the stern and on the bow. The engine has frozen. Thats not a problem a new one has already been aquired. So other than the problems mentioned most work will be cosmetic. Anybody out thier have any good cures for the dry rot? The areas are small and it has very beautiful wood and we intend to varnish. Anyone know anything about this model of boat history etc.? Im sure that I will have more questions as time passes. Chomping at the bit to get started.

Attached Files:

2. hansp77

hansp77

Kalevala, I know nothing about you model of boat, but,
    The only real cure for dry rot is to completely remove it.
    If you really don't want to remove/replace the affected wood, then you can kill the rot with various poisons and products, and then saturate the wood with epoxy. Penetrating epoxy, or heated unthinned epoxy would be used.

If you really are going to go through all the effort to varnish and maintain the boat, then I would think that you would want to do the job properly from the beginning.
    Maybe some photos will help.

Is it varnished already?
    If so, are you going to strip the whole thing back to wood, or just revarnish over the top?
    If you go back to raw wood allover, then you will have available to you a much wider range of products and methods to revarnish your boat- and hopefully cut down on its maintenence requirments.

Good luck.

P.S. nice boat.

3. kalevala

kalevala New Member

Hi hansp77 We plan on stripping it inside and out. So raw wood it is. I have been doing some reading, some suggest linseed oil before varnish some say avoid all together. Some say epoxy then varnish. Just starting to investigate the pros and cons. As for the dry rot you are probably right. I think it will be easy enough to replace the plank. At least on the stern.(epoxy and fillers make a real bad piece of work under the varnish). If you have any links to products and methods for revarnishing I would be interested in taking a look at them. I have had quite a bit of experience with marine primers and paint but varnish is a different story altogether. Clear and see through must be perfect.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.