Itchen Ferry Cutter

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by bowspritboy, Mar 19, 2005.

1. bowspritboy

bowspritboy New Member

New Guy here:

I'm looking for a sailboat to build---- large lakes here. Looking for gaff-rig with an old-time/offshore look.
    Love the old cutters/schooners/fishing smacks

I've seen things I like (Golant gaffer etc) but the one I like best is described as 'Itchen Ferry Cutter'
    I spotted it in the classifieds of a back-issue of 'Messing About in Boats' (Nov. 1995)
    described as "replica of English fishing smack 'Wonder' in Wooden Boat Mag. #14 "
    The telephone # to this advert. is a dead-end.
    I absolutely love the lines of this little boat (as shown in the ad)--anybody know of plans for it? (Stonington CT was the location of the phone#)

Gartside boats have a plan they call an Itchen Ferry Cutter which is a beaut. also but this one looks a little light and more reasonable for use one a lake--lighter more transportable.

JB in SC

2. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

You should be aware of the work of Lyle Hess. He designed a number of cutters with a "yachted up" version of the the type...although he called them Bristol cutters. He is long retired and I don't know who is selling his plans now.

I think if you like the Itchen Ferry you may like many of the Anglo cutters and smacks. John Leather (if he is still with us) is probably the leading authority on the type and could lead you to some plans of the type.
    Also there are many French work boats that have a similar feel that have always caught my wandering eye and are of similar lines.

Although I would not try to sway your preference from the sturdy little work boat scantlings of the originals, keep in mind you would probably not subject yours to the hard graft that the originals stood up to so well. I dare say that the scantlings Mr. Gartside spec'ed would make for a pretty rugged cruiser.

There is a ton of info in some European Magazines and publications. Also you might check out Lynn and Larry Pardees musings upon cruising a 24' and a 30'
    Lyle Hess Cutter.
    Also there is a pair of truly rugged writing sailors that I met in the Caribe--the Carrs--that have sailed all over hell and gone in such a cutter. They have written many articles and books about their incredible voyages on Curlew.

Those will get you started and a search at the library at the museum in Beaufort NC ( if you can get up there ) will get you some satisfaction--I"m sure.

3. diwebb

diwebb Senior Member

Hi, you might try to get a copy of Dixon Kemps Yachting and Boating Manual, republished by Wooden Boat. This has the lines and offsets for three Itchen Ferries and also has details of scantlings, planking, keel weights as well as rig details all based on the original 1870's and 80's boats. David.

4. Lister

Lister Previous Member

You can also buy the whole volume form Dixon Kemp at Goodchild with all the textes and plans.
    Big heavy volume for $90.
    A masterpiece of reprinting at a bargain price.
    I have also the original version.
    The Woodenboat book is the Kunhardt, not the Dixon Kemp.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.