Installing a swim platform

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by awol46, Dec 22, 2006.

1. awol46

awol46 gatorbait

When I restore my 28ft Owens, I want to install a swimplatform. I would appreciate some info from the vast knowledge pool on boatbuilding out there. I want to keep it wood to match the boat, but need info on proper installation method.

2. Poida

Poida Senior Member

awol
    When you do install it don't do what I did the other day, whipe it out reversing into a jetty.

3. awol46

awol46 gatorbait

Wipe Out

Don't you know you are supposed to "Hang Ten" and maintain a safe distance.HAHA!!1 Must have upset you really bad.! I have not decided on wood or fiber, which do you suggest?

4. stevel

stevel Lost at sea

Damn!

I hope it at least served to save your prop(s?).

5. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Awol
    Sorry nobody's answered your question so I will take some picks of how mine is attached and post them if I can work out how.
    To post that is.

Stevel props under the boat in no danger of reversing.

No I had to do a boat course for the local authorities. so the government could make some extra money. To do this they engage monkeys to make out a course.

I usually dock my boat by driving up to the dock slowly, chuck into reverse to stop it tie up, no problems.

Not the way to do it according to the monkeys. You drive up to the dock on an angle steer into the jetty and throw her in reverse. This swings the stern around. As I found out later, not an inboard, it sits there for a while untill you achieve a certain amount of revs then goes straight backwards. I was also at that point having a bit of trouble with the throttle control in reverse that I fixed yesterday, but all of these things conspired against me, I have a suspicion that the jetty moved as well.

6. awol46

awol46 gatorbait

Sorry!!

Appreciate the response, and would like some pics if you can. Thinking of going with a composite deck verses wood for maintenance and longevity purposes. Can't wait to get started with this project.

Awol46

7. benmww

benmww Junior Member

My boat is a 54ft steel yacht. before i had the swimplatform entering the boat from the water or dingy. My boat has reasonible freeboard and when anchored in shallow areas with moderate swell, entering the boat from the stern can be almost dangerous.
    for calm anchorages or marina berths / moorings my swim platform has been worth it's wait in gold, it's big, about 6 by 2 1/2. and has an stainless steel frame of 2 inch pipe with wooden slats.
    there are some brackets that stick out from the back anf the frame hinges on this with 2 large bolts. It can easily fit 4 people on it.
    A friend of ours had an all aluminium one, but the style just didn't go with the boat.
    It folds up verticle against the transom for storage and is held up by 5mm wire
    the brackets were welded to the transom and deck. this must be done in a sea way or it lifts up and slams back down which puts stress on the frame.
    but, in rough wether, with even slight pounding motion enterring from the stern is very dangerous, as the platform lifts up 1 metre and slams down to waterlevel. a dingy could easily be smashed and the operator knocked unconscious. so you still have to have an enterance from both sides of the hull. the cost all depends on who does the welding.
    in my opinion, that 3 feet of living space is the most used in the entire boat.
    for it's cost it's the best thing I've bought on the boat!
    good luck with your platform!

8. awol46

awol46 gatorbait

thanks benmww

I appreciate the info. My boat is wood and I will be in fairly calm waters on the lake in Kentucky, so I don't think entering will be a problem. I will need to mount thru the transom and have brackets under the platform. Several people have said to make sure the transom is solid enough to put up with the stress. I may make a backup plate to go on the inside of the transom to ensure plenty of support.

9. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Awol me mate

Wife just bought me a new computer, haven't got the camera connected to it yet.

The swim platform (we call em marlin boards for some reason) on my boat is attached to a wood member that runs accross the stern of the boat.

It is 80mm (3 1/4") in the vertical plane and 30mm (1 1/4") out from the back.

It is bolted to the area of the rear directly outside the position of the member on the inside that supports the decking.

benww - probably has a fixed platform, making it a bit dangerous even in a small swell. Mine as I considered yours would be hinged, this reduces the amount of danger as it floats when it hits the water allowing you to get on and if it did hit you would not have the weight of the boat tickling the top of your head.

Stainless steel hinges support the rear of the platform and two stainless steel chains run down at 45 deg. to the front edge.

My platform protrudes 420mm (3' 4") from the rear.

However I did cut my platform in half and installed a ladder on the other half of the rear for the ease of exiting the water.

Hope this helps
    Poida
    Conversions to imperial measurements are approximate.

10. awol46

awol46 gatorbait

thanks POIDA

Sounds just like I was thinking. Appreciate the info and can't wait to get it installed. Just one question though!! Approximately how far above the water-line does your platform rest?? Am pretty much going with a composite form for ease of maintenance and durability., but having trouble finding one in wood color finish. Any suggestions other that buyilding it myself???

11. jimslade

jimslade Senior Member

I built one years ago out of stainless steel brackets and teak wood. Very simple to make and lasted long untill I sold the boat.

12. Poida

Poida Senior Member

mine is only just above the water level, near as damn on it. Let's say about 80mm (3 1/4") above.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.