Gathering a Gentlemans Racer game plan

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by gmjeric, Jun 6, 2016.

1. gmjeric

gmjeric New Member

Ive been looking at wooden boats for quite a while and this forum keeps popping up.

Live on a large lake , Grand Lake Grove Oklahoma

Engineering back ground also capable of building most anything I have needed.

Previous experience in composites of all types from growing up in a Corvette restoration shop to vacuum bagging composite metals carbons kevlars etc for aviation.

Wanting a no frills racer rear cockpit 25 to 29.9 foot possible rumble cockpit up front

My thinking. Feel free to interject please

cold mold

lines easy enough to finish the exterior in large veneer sheets or plywood for speed of build

Does wood species matter as much for stringers?

I noticed that most of those boats were stepped hydros, Has anybody built one or have plans as a modern stepped Vee bottom.

I have access to a cnc router. Do many folks cut all of the bulkheads at once in this fashion

2. messabout

messabout Senior Member

How fast do you want to go, how much are you willing to spend, how long will you be willing to take for the build? Additionally is this to be a showpiece fitting for Concourse de Elegance events or just a good quick and dirty speed boat?

At the bottom of the prestige scale I would place the Bolger Sneakeasy. Few boats would be easier to build, have moderate cost, and deliver fairly good performance with small horsepower. Built with Okumee or Meranti it could be varnished rather elegantly as a gentlemans' racer is almost obligated to be.

At the other end of the scale there is the Riva type that will cost a small fortune and take a long time to build. It could be the king of the hill if that is what you want and are committed to spending the time and money.

Chris, Century, Riva and similar Gentlemans racers are not really suited for plywood builds because they have some tricky concave surfaces, barrel backs, and other twists and turns that make sheet materials inappropriate.

Unless you must have all out top speed, a stepped hull is not necessary or even desirable. Your choice should take into consideration the usual water conditions on your lake, how much fuel you are willing to buy in order to go faster than the next guy and a few other considerations.

Give us more information about your requirements.

3. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

4. gmjeric

gmjeric New Member

http://boats-from-usa.com/not-specified/reets-boatworks-26ft-gentlemans-racer-31964

http://antiqueboatamerica.com/Print.asp?boatid=36729

here are 2 examples I'm looking at... about equal level of quality in finish etc as these 2.

Im not really sold on barrel backs etc..

for speed id like to see 70.. how much hp I'm not sure??

power is also fairly cheap to build and not really an issue.. most of these boats in the day had less than 300 hp. seems the hull is the speed limiter and there is a point of no returns on hp

trying to determine time required. I haven't seen very many folks post numbers but guessing 1500 to 2500

as far as the hull shape.. ideal would be a VEE with 22-24 deadrise but they didn't have them then... id guess id have to copy a van dam etc unless anybody had ideas

ideally id like to us the boat on weekdays and occasional weekends.. I need an education on what they can handle water wise.. we have several 40 ft plus cruisers ripping up the lake on weekends and can feel rough in a 32 ft fountain although not that way on our end usually

5. messabout

messabout Senior Member

I don't agree that horsepower is cheap if taken on a pound per HP basis. If you are looking for 70 MPH then you are looking at some serious horsepower demand for a boat of the size that you mentioned.

A semi reliable 500 HP, light weight, race engine, costs well north of $20K. Two of them makes the cost a matter worth noticing for most of us. Couple those two engines with suitable gear boxes and other propeller drive and control components and you are well into the checkbook of even a captain of industry. Then there is the hull which will cost quite a bit more than a pastrami sandwich.

If you are up for the serious cost factor, then it would make sense to have a recognized and proven professional designer/builder do the work for you. Be prepared for a dollar number with several zeros at the right hand end.

6. gmjeric

gmjeric New Member

well thats what i came here for what are realistic numbers...

are we talking 600 hp for 26 ft boat

70 would be nice but if there is a major threshold at 55 then 55 it is.

I cam to to try and establish typical rules of thumb for this subject.

What power and weight requirements are there pound per hp in this hull configuration

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.