First time boat builder

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Greg in Atlanta, Apr 22, 2004.

1. I am gearing up to build my first boat and have two questions:

1. Anyone have any experience with MAS epoxies?

2. Does anyone know of a Marine Plywood retailer in the Atlanta area?

2. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

In a recent add I saw they claim Sam Devlin uses Mas epoxies for the boats he builds. I couldn’t beat that endorsement.

Gary :D

3. mrjarret

mrjarret New Member

Greg,

Within the Marine Trades program for which I am the instructor, we have switched exclusively to MAS resins and hardeners. For student's health and end product quality MAS has clear advantages. For fillers and additves --anything goes!

4. JEM

JEM Senior Member

5. pungolee

pungolee Senior Member

wood boat

1.Nope,always use West System
    2.Don't know if you want to drive this far, but there is an Atlantic Veneers Outlet store in Beaufort North Carolina that sells an excellent mahogany ply,as well as a teak veneer ply, they can't certify it as marine,but it is,good stuff,good price.

6. lprimina

lprimina Senior Member

The french are selling the mahogany ply at cheap prices and it is stamped with Loyds of london stamp for marine plywood. Find a dealer that sells it Some around fl. and if the order is big enough it is free shipping. But Atlantic Veneers Outlet store in Beaufort does have some good prices on their ply

7. JR-Shine

JR-Shine SHINE

We have Meranti and Okume marine ply, great looking wood. We have them both in BS1088 and BS6566.

As for epoxy; we have West, System 3, and our own brand. I am building a 16 foot flats boat with our brand. I have never worked with MAS, but if there product is only half as good as their markting - go for it!

Joel
    botbuildercentral.com

8. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

MAS is a "developed" epoxy and is comparable to the major brands and manufactures. There are other types of epoxies that can be considerably less costly, but most, if not all are less developed and as such are harder to work with. This means you'll have less pot life, smaller temperature range to work within, etc. using the less developed stuff. The trade off is cost and workability.

It's easier to use West, System 3 and the others, but you pay for this. The less refined stuff should be left to the users that have a bit of experience with epoxy and are comfortable working with the stuff.

MAS and the other manufactures will send you (or you could check their web sites) information about the properties of their various products. These numbers (strength, pot life times, etc.) can be used to compare with the other brands. A lot of experienced epoxy users are using less refined epoxies when the laminating schedule will permit. I've been using unrefined epoxy for some time and pay less then half the cost then West is charging for the same amount and strength goo. I pay a working time penalty and am subject to conditional considerations, that wouldn't be as big an issue with West, but I work around it with planning and setup.

For what it's worth . . .

9. Robert Miller

Robert Miller Junior Member

Am using MAS at the moment

MAS slow hardener has not resulted in any amine blush... consistent with their advertising.

Robert

10. RDB

RDB Junior Member

Greg, if you do choose MAS could you please do a quick write up of how you made out. I'm going to be starting an epoxy stage in about a month, and like you I'm a virgin so to speak. Like to hear some success stories.

11. JR-Shine

JR-Shine SHINE

Our brand's standard slow (Modified Cycloaliphatic) hardener is "no-blush" also. It cost quite a bit more (for us to have made), but it is worth it in my opinion. If you are doing several layers within a relatively short period, I would go with no-blush no matter what brand you choose.

Joel

12. donjames

donjames Junior Member

I'm not making a reply, But I am interested in first time boat builders in hopes we can compare notes and share information both good and bad. I am
    beginning research on a boat I have found online i.e. 38'' cabin cruiser and
    was really impressed with the look (lines) of the boat. There are several options available to me as far as structural materials as being #1, steel
    #2 aluminum, and #3 round bilge fiberglass-plywood core. I am moving to the Greatlakes area and would appreciate any one who can help with making the right decisions based on (all opinions welcome)Theory.

any one out there????
    Don

13. daniel k

daniel k Guest

atlanta ply

randall bros on marietta st stocks 3/4 and 1/2 ply mart way have 1/4

14. Max Trader

Max Trader New Member

Need help ????

I'm in Atlanta most of the time that i'm not on the coast. If you need a hand drop me a line.....i'm very interested in your project. :!:

15. harlow

harlow New Member

Wood boat restoration?

I am considering starting a boat restoration. But im not shure if this boat is worth it. Maybe you could help me determine this.